Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Merge Tracking functionality(Exclude already merged revisions from revision list on Merge dialog)
Merge Tracking functionality [message #1387032] Mon, 23 June 2014 15:18 Go to next message
Carlos Oliveira is currently offline Carlos OliveiraFriend
Hello to all,

When doing a Merge from a branch, after one choose the correct URL, one can choose a revision, browsing through a list of revisions. Is it possible to exclude the already merged revisions from this list? Does this functionality already exists in a newest Subversive version or is it planned to be developed and released?

(Using SVN Server 1.6 and Subversive SVN Team Provider 2.0.0.I20140609-1700)

Thank you very much in advance.

All the best,
Carlos
Re: Merge Tracking functionality [message #1402999 is a reply to message #1387032] Sat, 19 July 2014 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Hello Carlos,

This functionality does not exist yet and there was no request to implement it. There is also a way to work that needs to be considered: some people use merge as a means to revert changes. In this case the already merged revisions should be available to select (this behaviour is controlled by the "Reverse merge" option in the Merge dialog). So, I'm not sure if it will be clear enough that the list of revisions is controlled by this option and it should be checked before actual revisions selection.
Re: Merge Tracking functionality [message #1403098 is a reply to message #1402999] Mon, 21 July 2014 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov wrote on Sat, 19 July 2014 12:00
Hello Carlos,

This functionality does not exist yet and there was no request to implement it. There is also a way to work that needs to be considered: some people use merge as a means to revert changes. In this case the already merged revisions should be available to select (this behaviour is controlled by the "Reverse merge" option in the Merge dialog). So, I'm not sure if it will be clear enough that the list of revisions is controlled by this option and it should be checked before actual revisions selection.

Thanks four your reply.

I am aware of the Reverse Merge functionality, but one thing doesn't conflict with the other. All I'm asking is a simple check-box that when checked, all the already merged revisions in between chosen branches, are filtered out. If not checked, all eligible revisions are shown. The "Reverse merge" option does not do that.

This a fundamental functionality on a large development team, with several branches and changes being frequently made on older branches that need to be pushed forward to newest branches till trunk. Without filtering out which revisions are already merged, it's almost impossible to manage it and very prone to human error and therefore merging again already merged revisions.

How can I ask the Subversive development team to evaluate such issue and ask for this functionality?

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers!
Re: Merge Tracking functionality [message #1403854 is a reply to message #1403098] Mon, 28 July 2014 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander GurovFriend
Thank you for sharing your ideas. The task on the Bugzilla is here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=440526

Best regards,
Alexander.
Re: Merge Tracking functionality [message #1403856 is a reply to message #1403854] Mon, 28 July 2014 09:52 Go to previous message
Alexander Gurov wrote on Mon, 28 July 2014 05:49
Thank you for sharing your ideas. The task on the Bugzilla is here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=440526

Best regards,
Alexander.

Thnk you for listening and thank you very much for your effort!

All the best,
Carlos
Previous Topic:Problems with PDE build using FetchFromSVN
Next Topic:Change Sets not recognized as Subversion Change Lists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:58:38 GMT 2024