Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Debug Options Missing From Debug Perspective
Debug Options Missing From Debug Perspective [message #1386782] Fri, 20 June 2014 12:27 Go to next message
Mark Jones-Smith is currently offline Mark Jones-SmithFriend
Hi, I've imported my workspace projects from a PC to a MAC. I've installed Java/Eclipse and managed to compile my main project and (as a test) a 'Hello World' project. The 'Hello World' one works but my main project does not (it should (using FileWriter) write a file to a drive path). I've tried to run debug but I'm having the following issues:

- Debug Perspective does not automatically appear when I select 'Debug As'
- Debug options do not appear when in debug mode (e.g. step into , step over ... they're greyed out)
- I can add book marks but I can't get debug to arrive at this point.

Sorry if this is a noddy question.

Thanks,

I am working on OS X 10.9.2 with Eclipse Kepler and Java version 7 update 60 1.7.0_60-b19.
Re: Debug Options Missing From Debug Perspective [message #1386792 is a reply to message #1386782] Fri, 20 June 2014 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Eclipse won't switch to the Debug Perspective until a breakpoint is hit while debugging. The Step functions won't become active until you hit a breakpoint. Book marks don't have any effect on debugging. You want to set breakpoints. Either double click in the far left column in the editor for the line you want to stop on to toggle a breakpoint on or off. You can also right click in the same column and select the Toggle Breakpoint from the context menu.
Re: Debug Options Missing From Debug Perspective [message #1386800 is a reply to message #1386792] Fri, 20 June 2014 15:01 Go to previous message
Mark Jones-Smith is currently offline Mark Jones-SmithFriend
Hi David,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Also I'd like to apologise for the 'typo' please ignore where I wrote 'book marks' and replace with breakpoints (I was rushing).
I have actually been creating breakpoints in exactly the manner you suggest and I have had no joy with the imported project. But they work fine with the one created fresh within that workspace.

I'm beginning to suspect it's to do with the way I've imported the project. I think I'm going to simply create a fresh project and re-create my classes again (no imports) and see if this helps.

Once again thanks for your suggestion, my post wasn't clear ... if you do have any other suggestions please shout.

Thanks,
Previous Topic:[Help] Maven Problem
Next Topic:Couldn't load eclipse marketplace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:43:01 GMT 2024