Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs(How do I open existing workspace created under IntelliJ IDEA?)
Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs [message #1386339] Mon, 16 June 2014 18:16 Go to next message
John Novack is currently offline John NovackFriend
I have been using IntelliJ IDEA for years (along with jEdit). I have a workspace/repository on my computer with all of the code cloned from the GitHub repository via Stash/Git. IntelliJ 13.1 sees all of the directory structure and files, as does jEdit 6.1.0. This is primarily a Java 8 system. How do I get Eclipse (Kepler SR 2) to recognize and access this workspace? I can't just do a Change Workspace. Do I have to create a new Eclipse project pointing to my workspace? I know that Eclipse, IntelliJ, and jEdit can play together in the same sandbox, and this client prefers that I use Eclipse, but I want to make the transition gradually and continue some of the development on IntelliJ for a while.

So, given a brand new download of Eclipse Kepler, how to I set a project that will use the existing, already populated workspace? A clear step-by-step description would be best (I'm also coming up to speed on a half-dozen other open-source tools and libraries simultaneously, and simply can't read all of the manuals in enough detail in a very limited ramp-up time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs [message #1386340 is a reply to message #1386339] Mon, 16 June 2014 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A follow-up question...

I have the Git plugin in Eclipse, but don't know how to point it to the stash repository or my home machine's workspace directory. Any help?
Re: Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs [message #1386344 is a reply to message #1386340] Mon, 16 June 2014 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The first thing to understand about Eclipse is what its Workspace is and what it isn't. An Eclipse Workspace is a logical container for projects (and metadata and preferences, but that's not important to your question at hand). A workspace resides at a location of your choosing on your filesystem, that's what you select when Eclipse first starts up. The projects that it logically contains can either reside under the same location or elsewhere on the file system; that's why it's a "logical" container - it doesn't have to be a physical container (ie, a folder where the files of a project are stored).

The (unfortunate, in my opinion) default physical location (on your file system) for projects when you create them in Eclipse is under the current workspace. But that's easy to change, and I usually recommend doing so. Many source management clients (like git) really prefer you have your project files "checked out" in a specific location, so that's a common reason to take advantage of this capability of Eclipse workspaces.

In your case, you want to create a Java project (I'm assuming it's Java) but specify it's existing location on your file system instead of letting Eclipse a new one under your workspace. That way the Eclipse Project will be pointed at all the existing files you already have. There's a decent tutorial that covers this: open Help > Help Contents in Eclipse. In the Help window, find your way to Java development user guide > Getting Started > Project Configuration Tutorial and you'll quickly see what to do.

Here's the content online if you don't want to view it locally in your Eclipse installation.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 June 2014 18:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs [message #1386359 is a reply to message #1386339] Tue, 17 June 2014 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 06/16/2014 12:19 PM, John Novack wrote:
> I have been using IntelliJ IDEA for years (along with jEdit). I have a
> workspace/repository on my computer with all of the code cloned from the
> GitHub repository via Stash/Git. IntelliJ 13.1 sees all of the
> directory structure and files, as does jEdit 6.1.0. This is primarily a
> Java 8 system. How do I get Eclipse (Kepler SR 2) to recognize and
> access this workspace? I can't just do a Change Workspace. Do I have
> to create a new Eclipse project pointing to my workspace? I know that
> Eclipse, IntelliJ, and jEdit can play together in the same sandbox, and
> this client prefers that I use Eclipse, but I want to make the
> transition gradually and continue some of the development on IntelliJ
> for a while.
>
> So, given a brand new download of Eclipse Kepler, how to I set a project
> that will use the existing, already populated workspace? A clear
> step-by-step description would be best (I'm also coming up to speed on a
> half-dozen other open-source tools and libraries simultaneously, and
> simply can't read all of the manuals in enough detail in a very limited
> ramp-up time.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>

There isn't, as far as I know, a step-by-step for this. I'm assuming, as
I think you say, that your project(s) is(are) already in IntelliJ.

For one thing, you need a few special files to make your existing
project Eclipse-recognizable. The very best way to accomplish in my
opinion is to use the command line:

1. cd to your project.
2. mvn eclipse:eclipse
3. Clean up the side effects that may include creating additional files
you'll need to accommodate in Git (or whatever version-control you're
using).
4. Import this project into Eclipse:

a. Launch Eclipse.
b. Create a new workspace (or use an existing one).
c. Do File -> Import... -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace.
d. Click Next, then Browse.
e. Navigate to the project subdirectory and select it.
f. Click OK, then Finish.

I have a few meager and very random notes on working between IntelliJ
and Eclipse. They are from my point of view of being forced to begin
using IntelliJ when I'm a long-time Eclipse user. If interested:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/notes/intellij.html
Re: Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs [message #1386441 is a reply to message #1386359] Tue, 17 June 2014 14:37 Go to previous message
Thanks, guys. Unfortunately (fortunately for me) I've been working remotely with an advanced digital video group in Shanghai and we were using Linux and straight ANSI C, coding in ASCII text editors and tested separately. Even IDEA has become a bit unfamiliar, and I've only used Eclipse not long after IBM set it free. It's a different animal, now.

Returning to Java from the freedom and incredible granularity of a language like C is also a bit of a traumatic change. Java is so high an abstraction that most of what I'm used to having control over is now buried under the hood. Not to mention the dozens of o/s modules you now have to integrate to create a web service. There is the apocryphal story of the frog and the pot of boiling water. If you drop the frog into the boiling water, he will jump right out. But, if you put him into a pot of water at room temperature and raise the temp slowly, a degree at a time, he'll sit there fat, dumb, and happy, until he boils to death. When we first encountered PL/1 or ADA, you could see (distressingly) how bloated they were. Today, Java, C#, and others have been raising the bloat temperature a degree at a time, and the original Core Java or first-gen C# are unrecognizable. Any time you get away from it for a couple years, it is a culture shock to return to it and see how it has continued to bloat.

But, anyway, we do what the client wants [sigh...]. So, thanks for the help and I'll try it out.
Previous Topic:32bit Eclipse, 32bit JRE "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
Next Topic:Marketplace updates for closed network.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:08:20 GMT 2024