Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » 32bit Eclipse, 32bit JRE "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform(can't load DLL when starting application from Eclipse. Appears to be project setup problem with JRE)
32bit Eclipse, 32bit JRE "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform [message #1386152] Fri, 13 June 2014 16:52 Go to next message
Joe Lee is currently offline Joe LeeFriend
Hello all,
I'm sorry if this appears to be a duplicate but I'm having a problem that doesn't appear to be solvable using the various other entries of the same question.

I am getting an error on load of a DLL <dll-name>.dll: "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform" because the DLL is 32 bit.
The problem is, I am tryong to run the application in 32 bit as well but can't for some reason.
Eclipse is 32 bit, the run configuration points only to the 32 bit JRE, the JAVA_HOME envvironment variable points to the 32 bit Java JRE, and my PATH only has the 32 bit JRE entry in it.

Windows 7 64 bit
Java 1.6.0_32 32 bit JRE and JDK.
Eclipse Juno 32bit

I do have the 64 bit JRE and JDK installed as well.

I have a feeling some piece of of my eclipse project configuration is missing or wrong but I've exhausted all avenues that I am aware of.

A modified version of the same code and DLL have been proven to work on the same computer with the same Jave JRE and JDK and Eclipse, but using different project files. (Which were unfortunately recently removed so I cannot look at the config).

Any suggestions/help that someone can offer would be great!
Re: 32bit Eclipse, 32bit JRE "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform [message #1386159 is a reply to message #1386152] Fri, 13 June 2014 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

If you can't load a 32-bit DLL in a 64-bit JRE (or any 64-bit native process). You say you can't seem to run the application in 32-bit; can you go into more detail about what stopped you? Where are you stuck?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Fri, 13 June 2014 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 32bit Eclipse, 32bit JRE "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform [message #1386163 is a reply to message #1386159] Fri, 13 June 2014 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Lee is currently offline Joe LeeFriend
I just fixed the issue.

As stupid as this makes me sound, I'm going to pose the entry here so that no one else gets stuck in this regard in the future.

It would appear that the problem was because I wasn't pointing Eclipse to the 32 bit JRE after all. I had my JAVA_HOME environment variable pointing at "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6" and my PATH had the same directory added to it as well.

But of course, with the 64 and 32 bit JRE's and SDKs installed, I confused myself. The 32 bit version is in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

So I had to to tweak those environment variables and also add the 32 bit JRE to the run configuration in Eclipse, and once I did that, all was well.

My apologies for the wasted forum post.

Hopefully this post will ensure no one ends up making such a silly mistake in the future.
Re: 32bit Eclipse, 32bit JRE "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform [message #1386316 is a reply to message #1386163] Mon, 16 June 2014 13:22 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Thanks for following up, Joe. By the way, Eclipse does not use JAVA_HOME at all, and having a JDK or JRE on your system PATH doesn't matter, either, for applications that you run from within Eclipse. PATH can affect the running of Eclipse itself (if you don't specify the JVM in your eclipse.ini, which is strongly recommended), but not applications you launch from Eclipse.
Previous Topic:require-bundle: bundle cannot be resolved
Next Topic:Newbie Question on existing projects from other IDEs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:13:33 GMT 2024