Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice
Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1385587] Mon, 09 June 2014 18:12 Go to next message
Mark Raynsford is currently offline Mark RaynsfordFriend
Hi.

I've got libreoffice installed. Eclipse now insists on opening all text files with unrecognized suffixes using libreoffice. This is incredibly annoying! Is there any way to get it to stop doing this?

System is Linux, no particular desktop environment.
Re: Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1385589 is a reply to message #1385587] Mon, 09 June 2014 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Have you checked the Eclipse preferences?
Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations

Additionally, you can always say "Open With..." instead of a plain double click.
Re: Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1385597 is a reply to message #1385589] Mon, 09 June 2014 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Mon, 09 June 2014 14:47

Have you checked the Eclipse preferences?
Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations

The problem is that it doesn't allow for the specification of a default. I'd like to, for example, say that all unknown types are opened with the internal text editor.

It's not possible to specify "*" to match all types, or "*.*" to match all file extensions (both give different "you're not allowed to do that" messages).

Stephan Herrmann wrote on Mon, 09 June 2014 14:47

Additionally, you can always say "Open With..." instead of a plain double click.

The issue is having to remember never to double-click, because the default open option becomes "dangerous" with libreoffice installed.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 June 2014 19:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1385598 is a reply to message #1385597] Mon, 09 June 2014 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Let me mention that I've been running Eclipse and libreoffice side by side on various linux boxes for years without ever seeing this behaviour, so s.t. seems to be misconfigured on your box. If nothing in Eclipse looks suspicious, perhaps it *is* an issue with your desktop environment (whichever that is)...? Dunno..
Re: Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1385599 is a reply to message #1385598] Mon, 09 June 2014 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is a near vanilla install of Arch Linux with openbox as the wm, and no other desktop environment.

It's more likely to be a complete lack of configuration as opposed to misconfiguration.
Re: Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1385601 is a reply to message #1385599] Mon, 09 June 2014 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How does eclipse pick a "default" program?

I assume it has something to do with xdg-open...

What I mean is, something causes it to decide "I need an external program for this" and something else causes it to fall back to libreoffice (presumably because there are no other GUI text editors installed on the system).

[Updated on: Mon, 09 June 2014 20:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Getting eclipse to stop opening everything with libreoffice [message #1397125 is a reply to message #1385601] Wed, 09 July 2014 08:27 Go to previous message
Tuong Tran is currently offline Tuong TranFriend
so, How does eclipse pick a "default" program?
Previous Topic:HotSwap w/ remote debugging ("Obsolete methods on the stack")
Next Topic:JVM.DLL is not found in bundled runtime !
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:55:27 GMT 2024