Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace(EGit's Performance does not correlate to git bash Performance. It is depending on how much of the repository is imported into the workspace.)
EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385353] Thu, 05 June 2014 19:09 Go to next message
Steffen Grunwald is currently offline Steffen GrunwaldFriend
I use windows 7 and a git repository with about 40k objects in about 8000 directories.
The repository is gc'd, preloadindex is set to true.

Out of the box, msysgit's git bash takes 10 sec for a git status.
With disabled UAC or started with admin rights it takes 1.5 sec.

But I see no way to tune the performance of eclipse commit.
It takes about 31 seconds until the commit dialog appears - even if there are no changes at all.
The speed depends on the amount of projects imported into the eclipse workspace.
If everything is imported, eclipse takes about 2 seconds.

We decided to have all code in a single repository but it's not feasible to have everything in the workspace. Are there ways to tweak the eclipse performance for this case. Do you have suggestions? E.g.:

- how to make egit only scan for untracked files in the imported projects
- how to make egit fallback to git bash to determine changed files for projects not imported
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385440 is a reply to message #1385353] Fri, 06 June 2014 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Did you try to commit using the staging view ? It always shows the current git status and is updated incrementally
when Eclipse resource change events are found. Also it allows to incrementally work on the commit message since
it's not a modal dialog but a view.
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385477 is a reply to message #1385440] Fri, 06 June 2014 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias, yes, I know this view. It also takes 30~ sec after commit is clicked.
However, it's allowing me to moderately use other parts of eclipse while waiting.
Good hint.

Any other ideas which are not including the intensive task eclipse is doing?
By the way, I'm using an SSD. I don't know if that adds or mitigates problems. I assume the latter.
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385642 is a reply to message #1385477] Tue, 10 June 2014 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try to increase JGit buffer cache size:
Preferences > Team > Git > Window Cache > Window Cache Limit
I use 300m here.
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385645 is a reply to message #1385642] Tue, 10 June 2014 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think JGit doesn't yet honor core.preloadindex = true
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385657 is a reply to message #1385645] Tue, 10 June 2014 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias, thanks for the additional tuning parameter.
It's still 29 seconds after commit is clicked in the contextmenu in package explorer - I tried it 3 times in a row.
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385730 is a reply to message #1385645] Tue, 10 June 2014 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Matthias Sohn skrev 2014-06-10 10.32:
> I think JGit doesn't yet honor core.preloadindex = true

No, but JGit reads the whole index before working on it, so it essentially considers
thit the default.

-- robin
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1385926 is a reply to message #1385730] Thu, 12 June 2014 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any configuration or workaround to make eclipse benefit from the performance of the native git command?
It's not feasible to have the whole repository in the workspace. And in my configuration it is also not feasible to divide the repository into too much small repositories.
Re: EGit Commit Performance depends on Files in Workspace [message #1386111 is a reply to message #1385926] Fri, 13 June 2014 12:41 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Steffen Grunwald skrev 2014-06-12 11.50:
> Is there any configuration or workaround to make eclipse benefit from the performance of the native git command?

Not with EGit, though you can use native Git side by side with Eclipse on the same repo.

-- robin

> It's not feasible to have the whole repository in the workspace. And in my configuration it is also not feasible to divide the repository into too much small repositories.
Previous Topic:Programmatically find deleted resources that are not committed
Next Topic:checkout with symlinks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:47:37 GMT 2024