Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler
Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384646] Thu, 29 May 2014 22:14 Go to next message
Scott Kay is currently offline Scott KayFriend
Hi to all the Eclipse forum members! Glad to be back doing some new development for a startup on Ubuntu/Java/JBOSS/mySQL/PHP.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.4 (Precise Pangolin) and see that the apt-get version of Eclipse is rather outdated ( I think it's 3.7.X ) so I downloaded the new version from Eclipse.org downloads and saved the file 'eclipse-standard-kepler-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz' to my Downloads folder. After extracting the contents with 'tar -zxvf eclipse-standard-kepler-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz' to the /opt/eclipse directory, I ran the eclipse exectuable and get the error "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library".

I haven't been doing any development on Linux until just recently and maybe I am missing something about the downloaded tar.gz eclipse file. I was under the impression that this was an all inclusive x64 bit install that should be ready to go on Linux?

I removed the install from /opt/eclipse but still have the tar file in case I can figure out how to get the installation working. Is there another download needed for a complete install? Not sure if the 'SR2' part of the filename was referring to a second release or if it means it's an update meant to be overlaid on an existing eclipse install.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384650 is a reply to message #1384646] Fri, 30 May 2014 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prahlad Yeri is currently offline Prahlad YeriFriend
Hey Scott,

>>>and saved the file 'eclipse-standard-kepler-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz' to my Downloads folder
Now, are you sure that your ubuntu install is also 64bit? (cause you have downloaded the 64bit version and not 32bit).

If YES, then you have to install the ia32lib (or something like that) from your ubuntu repo. The reason is that eclipse still has certain certain dependencies on 32bit gtk+ libraries for its swf components.

If no, then you downloaded the wrong eclipse version, mate! You should download the 32bit one:-)
Also, try to get help from askubuntu.com forums. Thats where you will get clear instructions in case of ubuntu specific issues.
Re: Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384660 is a reply to message #1384646] Fri, 30 May 2014 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arthanarisamy Annamalai is currently offline Arthanarisamy AnnamalaiFriend
Hi,

Did you extract the tar file on a different location and copied the extracted folder to /opt/eclipse, if thats the case the error message mentioned below would arise.

So copy the eclipse.tar file to the desired location and un tar it, then it will work. Because eclipse.ini file will be having reference to few files located in the extracted path and when you copy the extracted one, folder structure will be different and it will fail.

Thanks
Re: Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384711 is a reply to message #1384660] Fri, 30 May 2014 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry I didn't answer you back till today, got busy yesterday. Anyway I found out the original problem was a real noob error (misconception) that I already had the JDK installed, so that was easily solved. I got Kepler up and running fine and installed the JBOSS dev tools plugin and then the AWS dev tools plugin. The JBOSS install went fine but the AWS plugin install failed due to some missing classes. After some research I discovered that the AWS dev tools install expects to be running on the JEE version of Eclipse. So I removed the old version and downloaded the eclipse-jee-kepler-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz and installed that (same location /opt/eclipse). When Eclipse started up there was an error so I started it again and this time it started and looked fine, I realized the JBOSS tools plugin would need to be re-installed but low and behold it showed it as installed (install grayed out in eclipse marketplace), so I assumed that was due to bad persisted metadata about plugins in my original workspace and so I uninstalled it even though I expected the plugin jars couldn't already be in the eclipse *maybe that was a bad assumption?* and now when Eclipse starts I see an RSE_UI_INIT (seems like an error code) and then the UI seems like it is partially broken - no pull-down menus in the top menu bar area and basically the whole UI looks like there are things missing from the previous *standard Kepler* install? Pull-down menus do appear if I maximize the window but the menu options seem incomplete (i.e. Help shows no "Install
plugins" or "Eclipse Marketplace"). I'm assuming the JEE version is the same as the standard with additional JEE plug-ins/support classes for enterprise development not a different UI completely.

This is frustrating the heck out of me, even though I did a complete uninstall again (cd /opt; rm -rf eclipse; cd ~; rm -rf workspace) then re-install (cd /opt; tar -xvf eclipse-jee-kepler-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz) I still get the same weird RSE_UI_INIT at startup followed by the kind of minimalist UI (starts in a project display mode *NOT* the nice fresh startup UI with the intro and menu options I was expecting from the original Kepler standard install). Is there something else I might need to remove before Eclipse will start in a true *new install* mode? My level of anxiety is getting the best of me Wink
Re: Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384714 is a reply to message #1384711] Fri, 30 May 2014 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prahlad Yeri is currently offline Prahlad YeriFriend
>>I still get the same weird RSE_UI_INIT at startup followed by the kind of minimalist UI (starts in a project display mode *NOT* the nice fresh startup UI

This error doesn't look like its because of any workspace metadeta, but something related to the platform itself. Though I don't work in JBoss, etc. (I use Eclipse mostly for Android and PyDev), I faced a similar issue with Kepler a while ago. Though there wasn't any error, the program crashed frequently and had GUI issues in ubuntu. This has something to do with your eclipse.ini file. You can experiment with some settings like -XX:PermSize=128m and -XX:MaxPermSize=400m. Do a google search on that, you will got some pointers.

Can't you try it on a 32-bit ubuntu machine? I'm running eclipse-JEE with ADT+PyDev+Webtools plugins and still goes w/o any problems from 12.04 to 14.04 since I upgraded recently. I did face a lot more issues when I tried 64bit earlier with Android ADT plugin.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 May 2014 16:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384715 is a reply to message #1384711] Fri, 30 May 2014 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, dusting off the linux cobwebs - hehehe.
I noticed that in addition to the ~/workspace directory there is a ~/.eclipse (I presume a config directory) that I thought I should delete as well. Now I have a the beautiful fresh into UI I was expecting and no weird RSE_UI_INIT showing up. So it appears I should be good to go for now and I'll stop posting to the newb's topic - heheh. And thanks for the help, can't wait to get cranking on my new website!
Re: Hi all, help with Ubuntu install of Kepler [message #1384729 is a reply to message #1384714] Fri, 30 May 2014 20:38 Go to previous message
Prahlad Yeri wrote on Fri, 30 May 2014 12:16
>>I still get the same weird RSE_UI_INIT at startup followed by the kind of minimalist UI (starts in a project display mode *NOT* the nice fresh startup UI

This error doesn't look like its because of any workspace metadeta, but something related to the platform itself. Though I don't work in JBoss, etc. (I use Eclipse mostly for Android and PyDev), I faced a similar issue with Kepler a while ago. Though there wasn't any error, the program crashed frequently and had GUI issues in ubuntu. This has something to do with your eclipse.ini file. You can experiment with some settings like -XX:PermSize=128m and -XX:MaxPermSize=400m. Do a google search on that, you will got some pointers.

Can't you try it on a 32-bit ubuntu machine? I'm running eclipse-JEE with ADT+PyDev+Webtools plugins and still goes w/o any problems from 12.04 to 14.04 since I upgraded recently. I did face a lot more issues when I tried 64bit earlier with Android ADT plugin.

Many thanks for your help Prahlad, but the problem was just incomplete cleanup of the previous install. Interesting that at startup I still see the RSE_UI_INIT very breifly, I am thinking it is simply a process status notification, but it lasts only shortly as the "proper" UI is initialized. I need the 64 bit support for the 64 bit target instance in AWS cloud.
Previous Topic:Help->Install new Software disappeared after Installation of subversive
Next Topic:Integerating Tomcat 8 with Eclipse Juno
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:34:24 GMT 2024