Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Error when pushing
Error when pushing [message #1377974] Sat, 24 May 2014 03:28 Go to next message
Johnson Joe is currently offline Johnson JoeFriend
Hi everyone,

I use git so that I can work on the same versions of my projects from both my desktop and my laptop; it has worked great until now. I made a new project on my laptop and tried to push it to github and got this error:

(I have a forum restriction on links, please copy and paste, removing the extra space)
http:/ /pyraetos.net/capture.png

I was able to push it by zipping up the whole project and emailing it to myself, retrieving it on my desktop, importing it into the Eclipse workspace on my desktop, and pushing it from there. However, I am still unable to push this project on my laptop.

It's weird because my other projects work just fine from my laptop so I can't imagine having any unsatisfactory settings.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Re: Error when pushing [message #1380679 is a reply to message #1377974] Sun, 25 May 2014 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Johnson Joe skrev 2014-05-24 05.28:
> http:/ /pyraetos.net/capture.png

Can you post some details, preferrably as text rather than screenshot.

-- robin
Re: Error when pushing [message #1383895 is a reply to message #1380679] Tue, 27 May 2014 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg wrote on Sun, 25 May 2014 03:12
Johnson Joe skrev 2014-05-24 05.28:
> http:/ /pyraetos.net/capture.png

Can you post some details, preferrably as text rather than screenshot.

-- robin

I can't really explain it. Are you having trouble with the screenshot?
Re: Error when pushing [message #1383910 is a reply to message #1383895] Tue, 27 May 2014 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
- Can you provide an explanation which steps you did until you hit this error dialog ?
- Which version of EGit/JGit are you using ?
- Are you using different ssh key pairs on these two computers ?
- Are you sure you used the right passphrase for the ssh key on the computer where it failed ?

RefSpecImpl.revalidateImpl() throws an exception which is converted to the dialog you are seeing.
Can you post the details you get when clicking the "Details" button ?
Re: Error when pushing [message #1383913 is a reply to message #1383910] Tue, 27 May 2014 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a patch to ensure the error is logged
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/27321/
Re: Error when pushing [message #1384031 is a reply to message #1383913] Wed, 28 May 2014 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn wrote on Tue, 27 May 2014 03:25
Here is a patch to ensure the error is logged
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/27321/

I don't even know how to apply the patch :/ I've still got a lot to learn.
Matthias Sohn wrote on Tue, 27 May 2014 03:08
- Can you provide an explanation which steps you did until you hit this error dialog ?
- Which version of EGit/JGit are you using ?
- Are you using different ssh key pairs on these two computers ?
- Are you sure you used the right passphrase for the ssh key on the computer where it failed ?

RefSpecImpl.revalidateImpl() throws an exception which is converted to the dialog you are seeing.
Can you post the details you get when clicking the "Details" button ?

I'll try to provide as much information as possible.

I make changes to files in a project and save it, then commit to the local repository without problem. Right clicking my project folder, I go to Team>Remote>Push... and see the Push window. Usually the URI I want to use is filled in for me due to some settings, but since I've tried disconnecting my project from using Git and starting fresh I've had to paste the URI each time. I'm just using the clone URI found on the repository's Github page.

When I press next, it quickly turns up with a dialog saying
Transport Error
Cannot get remote repository refs.
Reason:
org.eclipse.jgit.transport.CredentialItem$StringType:Passphrase for C:\Users\Pyraetos\.ssh\id_rsa

Using the Details button reveals nothing but the same information under "Reason:"

As for the version of EGit, I went to Help>About Eclipse and found a button for EGit. It seems to be 3.2.0.201312181205-r

At the time I posted this, I do not believe I was using different SSH keys on the two computers. I may be now because I generated a new one and loaded it into both Eclipse and Github to no avail.

As for the passphrase, I don't get far enough into the pushing process for it to ask me for a passphrase. This error occurs on the page directly after I enter the URI.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but under Team>Remote, the two options on the bottom (Configure push and Configure fetch) are grayed out on my desktop but are available on my laptop. I don't know why.

Thank you very much for helping me with this confusing problem!
Re: Error when pushing [message #1384656 is a reply to message #1384031] Fri, 30 May 2014 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still cannot resolve this error, I've tried reinstalling eclipse, recreating the repositories several times, and even using HTTPS instead of SSH to push to GitHub. I always get an error, either the same one above, or "Auth fail," or, in the case of HTTPS, "Cannot open git-receive-packet." It never pushes to GitHub and I am getting quite frustrated because I really need this functionality but it's a little too complicated for me Sad
Re: Error when pushing [message #1385046 is a reply to message #1384656] Tue, 03 June 2014 22:06 Go to previous message
The patch was merged for EGit 3.4.0 RC2 you may install the latest 3.4 version from
http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-stable-nightly
The final 3.4.0 will be available with Luna end of June.

Did you maybe install Eclipse in a folder with restricted access (e.g. Programs folder on Windows) ?
Can you push over ssh using native git ?
Previous Topic:How to automatically open/close or import/delete projects when checking out branches
Next Topic:[API] getting IFileRevision from ResourceEditableRevision
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:17:16 GMT 2024