Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » How to get all the data and the history from remote GIT repository (How to get all the data and the history from remote GIT repository without local repository)
How to get all the data and the history from remote GIT repository [message #1377266] Fri, 23 May 2014 20:14 Go to next message
samuel wang is currently offline samuel wangFriend
I want to get all the history of remote Git Rep including the branches, my question is how to get the data and the history from remote GIT repository without local repository? or do I have to create one local Rep?
I don't want to create so many local branches in order to get all of them.

when I clone the master branch in my local, do I get all the branches from the remote server?

[Updated on: Fri, 23 May 2014 20:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: developer [message #1377351 is a reply to message #1377266] Fri, 23 May 2014 21:01 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
samuel wang skrev 2014-05-23 22.14:
> I want to get all the history of remote Git Rep including the branches, my question is how to get the data and the history from remote GIT repository without local
> repository? or do I have to create one local Rep?
> I don't want to create so many local branches in order to get all of them.
>
> when I clone the master branch in my local, do I get all the branches from the remote server?
>

When you clone a remote repo you will by default get all branches and tags from the remote repostory, not just master. The remote branches have a prefix like
refs/remotes/origin/ or origin/ for short. Your master branch is a created from origin/master by default.

You can checkout a remote branch without creating a local branch so you can look at it. I don't think you can, i practial terms, view the history of any arbitrary remote
branch without checking it out first.

-- robin
Previous Topic:how to log in the remote Git repository
Next Topic:$HOME/.config/git/ignore for ignore entries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:30:19 GMT 2024