Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes?
Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes? [message #1372191] Wed, 21 May 2014 18:28 Go to next message
Jeff Falkenham is currently offline Jeff FalkenhamFriend
Going through the tutorials. Hit this:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/localclasses.html

"However, starting in Java SE 8, a local class can access local variables and parameters of the enclosing block that are final or effectively final. A variable or parameter whose value is never changed after it is initialized is effectively final."

I read through the "what's new" sections on the Java website. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

Where do I find unmentioned changes like this, besides going through all the tutorials?

I'm not going to redo the tutorials every time a new version of Java comes out.

(By the way, I have to say.... WHY JAVA? WHY? "Effectively final"? If the variables need to be final, MAKE THE PROGRAMMER DECLARE THEM SO. "Effectively final" is nonsense and error prone, and very ambiguous. At least Eclipse will still throw errors at me. If I didn't get an error until I ran the program, I'd be mad.)
Re: Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes? [message #1372498 is a reply to message #1372191] Wed, 21 May 2014 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You seem to have an incorrect understanding of this forum. Its purpose is to discuss issues related to the Java Development Tools developed by the Eclipse foundation. It isn't a general Java question/answer forum.

Re: Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes? [message #1372515 is a reply to message #1372498] Wed, 21 May 2014 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener wrote on Wed, 21 May 2014 17:27
You seem to have an incorrect understanding of this forum. Its purpose is to discuss issues related to the Java Development Tools developed by the Eclipse foundation. It isn't a general Java question/answer forum.

Stop replying to my topics then. This is the second unhelpful reply you have given me. Go away. Thanks.

If someone wants to answer my question, they will. It doesn't matter if this isn't a general Java question/answer forum. To be honest, I don't really have time to post on 2 different forums (one for Eclipse issues, and another for Java issues). And even if I did, you did not provide an alternative for me to post on.
Re: Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes? [message #1372770 is a reply to message #1372515] Thu, 22 May 2014 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The people answering questions on this forum are volunteering their time
in order to answer JDT questions. Just like you, we also have limited
time and have chosen to spend that time helping Eclipse users learn to
use the tools. That becomes more difficult as the forum accumulates
general Java questions. Volunteers have to sort through the questions
in order to find the questions that they can answer. It can also lead
to the impression that this is a general Java forum which in turn adds
to additional off topic questions.

If you are looking to ask general Java questions, I would suggest
stackoverflow or Java Ranch.
Re: Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes? [message #1374902 is a reply to message #1372770] Thu, 22 May 2014 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For additional clarification, I don't think your topic is completely out of bounds. You should try to relate it to the Eclipse tools. It would be relevant to the forum to ask how Eclipse plans/does handle the situation of effective final variables, are there any preferences for flagging them as warnings, errors, etc. This keeps the discussion Eclipse focused.
Re: Local Classes and Local Non-Final Variables: Where was this in the patch notes? [message #1374969 is a reply to message #1374902] Thu, 22 May 2014 21:55 Go to previous message
David Wegener wrote on Thu, 22 May 2014 17:15
For additional clarification, I don't think your topic is completely out of bounds. You should try to relate it to the Eclipse tools. It would be relevant to the forum to ask how Eclipse plans/does handle the situation of effective final variables, are there any preferences for flagging them as warnings, errors, etc. This keeps the discussion Eclipse focused.

4th post you've made in my threads that doesn't even answer the question.

It also seems like you were just grasping at random stuff to say, too. Eclipse gives you an error if you misuse an "effectively final" variable, and I mentioned so in my first post. There is no "discussion" to be had on any of the points you mentioned.
Previous Topic:[SOLVED] Mouse shortcut "Step into selection" while debugging does not work on Windows
Next Topic:Eclipse (ADT) issues with Capabilities.canWatchField*
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:27:28 GMT 2024