Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » How do I create a category repository and then composite repository?
How do I create a category repository and then composite repository? [message #1369565] Tue, 20 May 2014 16:49 Go to next message
Tamar Cohen is currently offline Tamar CohenFriend
At EclipseCon 2014 Pascal described a setup where he was creating a category repository and then a composite repository to provide categories for an uncategorized repository. I would like to evaluate doing the same thing; our setup is we have automated p2 repository generation by Nexus OSS, but this does not provide categories. When we use these as part of our target platform it is unmanageable to not have categories.

I have created category.xml file with version set to 0.0.0, but I have no idea how to build this into a p2 repository. The p2 publisher does not seem to be part of the Luna release anymore, and I'm not sure how to set up Tycho just to build a category repository.

I have not even gotten to the step of building the composite repository.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? Is there any updated documentation on how to do this?

thanks so much
Tamar Cohen
Intelligent Robotics Group
NASA Ames Research Center
Re: How do I create a category repository and then composite repository? [message #1371939 is a reply to message #1369565] Wed, 21 May 2014 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
Hi Tamar,

Once you have your category.xml run the category publisher (http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Fguide%2Fp2_publisher.html&resultof=%22category%22%20%22categori%22%20%22publisher%22%20%22publish%22%20)

For example I use the following command:
eclipse.exe -consoleLog -noSplash -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher
.CategoryPublisher -categoryDefinition file:<pathToCategory.xml> -metadataReposi
tory file:<pathToRepoRepresentingCategory> -contextMetadata file:<pathToRepoContainingContentToBeCategorized>

Then building the composite repo you can either use the p2.composite.repository ant tasks.

HTH
Re: How do I create a category repository and then composite repository? [message #1372040 is a reply to message #1371939] Wed, 21 May 2014 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Pascal I'll give it a shot and update the post!
Re: How do I create a category repository and then composite repository? [message #1374485 is a reply to message #1372040] Thu, 22 May 2014 17:09 Go to previous message
So I tried doing this -- my -contextMetadata is not a local file, instead it is a remote uri provided by nexus, something like https://bla/nexus/bla/.meta/p2 -- unfortunately this site requires authentication and despite having tried https://username:password@bla/nexus/bla/.meta/p2 I keep getting errors like this:
org.eclipse.equinox.security.storage.StorageException: No password provided.

Do you have suggestions on how to categorize a remote site that requires authentication? Is it possible to use secure storage with headless Eclipse?

thanks so much
Tamar
Previous Topic:Questions re. update sites for read-only/shared installs (might be repost, first time around :) )
Next Topic:different behavior when using bundlepool in Luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:29:19 GMT 2024