Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » I can't even *describe* this problem!(I just lost a useful feature in the editor that I cannot even find terms for in the Help materials)
I can't even *describe* this problem! [message #1364591] Sun, 18 May 2014 15:18 Go to next message
Chris Crawford is currently offline Chris CrawfordFriend
I've been using Eclipse for maybe ten years, but I am getting older (64 years!) and I find it impossible to memorize the thousands of details required to use Eclipse properly. Eclipse has suddenly lost a feature that I find quite useful, a feature that I have used for years. I'm working in Java with a standard configuration -- I don't know enough about Eclipse to come up with variant configurations.

In the editor, when I double-click on a variable or method name, two useful things happen:

1. Other references to that variable or method name are highlighted.
2. References to that variable or method name that are not in view are indicated with a tiny flat rectangle in a vertical bar on the RIGHT side of the editing window (to the immediate right of the vertical scroll bar).

Note that I don't even know the proper terminology to describe these features. I have prowled through help files, but not knowing what to search for, I'm getting nowhere. How does one search for "the vertical bar on the right side of the editing window"?

Anyway, a few days ago this feature suddenly stopped working. I thought sure that it had to be something in the preferences, but after swimming through the zillion and one preference panes, I still couldn't find anything. I reverted all the preferences I could find to their original states, but still got nowhere.

I figure that I must have pressed some weird combination of keys (say, command-shift-option-F8) to make this happen. (I'm using the Mac chiclet keyboard and my fingers still haven't adjusted.)

I realize that this is almost certainly one of those simple issues that I could have easily found myself had I known the correct nomenclature. But after expending several hours trying to find it, I have thrown up my hands and am hoping some veteran will take the time to explain it to me.
Re: I can't even *describe* this problem! [message #1365225 is a reply to message #1364591] Sun, 18 May 2014 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
It sounds like you are describing the Mark Occurrences feature. There
is a tool bar icon of a highlight marker that toggles the behavior. The
default shortcut is Shift-Alt-O
Re: I can't even *describe* this problem! [message #1365348 is a reply to message #1365225] Sun, 18 May 2014 23:02 Go to previous message
Chris Crawford is currently offline Chris CrawfordFriend
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Yes, indeed, that was the trick. So now I know a new bit of Eclipse terminology: Occurrences.

Previous Topic:Selection can't be launched, no recent launches!!
Next Topic:Running Application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:51:32 GMT 2024