Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Is there a function in perforce pluggin to resolve MAXSCANLINE issue?
icon5.gif  Is there a function in perforce pluggin to resolve MAXSCANLINE issue? [message #1356241] Thu, 15 May 2014 02:41 Go to next message
Hanson Chen is currently offline Hanson ChenFriend
I meet a big problem when using perforce pluggin to sync code tree to local. The code tree is too big, it over the MaxScanLine limitation. My solution is to split the whole tree into several sync tasks, narrow the one-time sync scope. But it is not a smart way, sometimes maybe with code tree growth, one task scope may hit this limitation again. Then I need split to more pieces.

There is another bug, when sync code hit the limitation, Hudson doesn't pop up Error, and still list un-synced check-in out. It seems like work fine as normal. It hidden the issue.

Is there another way to resolve this MaxScanLine issue? The version of perforce plug-in is 1.3.23-h-1.

Re: Is there a function in perforce pluggin to resolve MAXSCANLINE issue? [message #1357642 is a reply to message #1356241] Thu, 15 May 2014 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Winston Prakash is currently offline Winston PrakashFriend
Unfortunately I don't have perforce working knowledge. So I asked Konstantin who uses Perforce with Hudson at Oracle. Following is his reply.

Typically, if you cannot sync a p4 workspace from scratch without running into the file count limit, the workspace should be split into multiple workspaces/jobs. Depending on his particular circumstances, perhaps a pipeline of jobs to build components in series or separate jobs for different branches. In perforce, a branch is just a different folder, so it's possible to create a single workspace that has all your branches, but that's rarely advisable.

Thanks,

- Konstantin

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Is there a function in perforce pluggin to resolve MAXSCANLINE issue? [message #1358594 is a reply to message #1357642] Fri, 16 May 2014 01:58 Go to previous message
Hanson Chen is currently offline Hanson ChenFriend
Thanks Winston.

Yes I have used that solution to split whole tree syncing into several jobs. If below is the whole tree,
MAIN
-- component1
-- component2
-- component3

Then I create 3 jobs to sync these 3 sub-folders to local separately. There is potential issue, the component1 may hit the MAXSCANLINE limitation again with the code tree growth. Then,
MAIN
-- component1
---- sub-component1
---- sub-component2
---- sub-component3
-- component2
-- component3
I need create more jobs to split component1 again.

In here we just talk about sync code, for the compiling, I can create soft link to get all folders together and start fully compiling.
I maintain the daily build compiling, I meet this issue two times, May I suggest improve perforce pluggin?
a, Report ERROR when sync code hit MAXSCANLINE limitation.
b, or goto further, when hit MAXSCANLINE limitation, auto sync the sub-folders seperately. The MAXSCANLINE only against one-time sync.

THanks Again.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 May 2014 01:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Update Sonar Plugin in Hudson to version 2.2
Next Topic:Passing a Parameter in the URL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:54:17 GMT 2024