Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Is GEF suitable for this use case?
Is GEF suitable for this use case? [message #235207] Wed, 06 June 2007 17:59 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mail.micke.gmail.com

Hi,
currently I'm trying to learn a bit of Eclipse RCP and GEF, having looked at some examples I think that GEF will do the job but thought I'd ask to get some expert opinions.

I want to display a property map image in a editor and allow the user to position diffferent kinds of nodes on it which are interconnected.
The nodes represent houses and other kinds of physical structures and the connections represent cables.

This is what I don't know if it is easily doable with GEF.
The connections need to be of the multiple-line-segment kind, and completely free for the user to route by dragging, adding new "waypoint" on the connection and removing created "way point" (don't know the technical word for it but, in my head the way points are what connects the line segments making up the connection) .

Not a as important, but is it possible to construct a connection incrementally, instead of connecting it the target immediately (like drawing a series of straight lines from the source to the target)?

Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Re: Is GEF suitable for this use case? [message #235215 is a reply to message #235207] Thu, 07 June 2007 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: apexgroup07.gmail.com

Hey Mike,

It seems that GEF is built for your requirements. You can easily do this in GEF.

Just downlload all the examples of GEF from eclipse.org and extend them to your requirements.

You need to study draw2d also for this.

And we are here if you will face any technical problem

best of luck

rohit khariwal
Re: Is GEF suitable for this use case? [message #235222 is a reply to message #235215] Thu, 07 June 2007 09:12 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: mail.micke.gmail.com

Great,
I'll get started then :)

Thanks,
Mike
Previous Topic:How to get Content Provider
Next Topic:Automatically creating additional shapes on a drop from the pallete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:08:12 GMT 2024