Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse with Xampp(files in htdocs keep getting deleted)
Eclipse with Xampp [message #1355133] Wed, 14 May 2014 15:38 Go to next message
John Smith is currently offline John SmithFriend
Hello,

I have Eclipse Kepler (latest version)for web. I set my workspace to c:\xampp\htdocs which is the document root for the xampp web server. When I create a new project, in this case a static webproject and use c:\xampp\htdocs as the workspace it deletes my files when I go to run an html page and I get jav.lang.nullpointer. Why is it deleted the files from the webserver when it tries to run(publish I'm assuming) the files?
Thank you
Re: Eclipse with Xampp [message #1355309 is a reply to message #1355133] Wed, 14 May 2014 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I create the workspace outside of htdocs like c:\workspace , it runs fine. can someone please shed some light on this. Thanks you
Re: Eclipse with Xampp [message #1355343 is a reply to message #1355309] Wed, 14 May 2014 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alfie Abdullah is currently offline Alfie AbdullahFriend
Same problem, just waiting for answer too please.

Re: Eclipse with Xampp [message #1355950 is a reply to message #1355343] Wed, 14 May 2014 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Workspaces contain the details of the projects you are working on. They
are also the default location for holding the projects but you often
will want to keep projects separate. Workspaces hold system specific
information and will create a number of files and sub folders. You don't
want to create a workspace in an existing project location. You should
do as mentioned in the second post. Create the workspace else where and
import the projects you want to work on. Note that import can be either
physical where you copy the project into the workspace, or virtual where
the workspace tracks the project but leaves it outside of the workspace.

If you have installed the Java Development Tools (JDT) the help includes
a tutorial that offers a number of different project structures.
Re: Eclipse with Xampp [message #1357276 is a reply to message #1355950] Thu, 15 May 2014 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply. So, when I open eclipse it prompts for workspace which I currently have set to c:\xampp\htdocs. If I create a new project and point it to the same workspace it deletes the files in c:\xampp\htdocs for that newly created project? This is normal? Are you saying that I can't create a new project or have multiple projects under one workspace. I don't really understand why it would delete the file when I try to run that newly created Static web project.
Re: Eclipse with Xampp [message #1357358 is a reply to message #1357276] Thu, 15 May 2014 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
As I said, you don't want to create a workspace in a folder for an existing project. The workspace controls everything below it. You don't point projects to workspaces, you point workspaces to projects. Workspaces are separate from projects. Please follow the tutorials mentioned in my previous post.
Re: Eclipse with Xampp [message #1357361 is a reply to message #1357358] Thu, 15 May 2014 13:39 Go to previous message
ok.. Thank you
Previous Topic:Re: Orientation
Next Topic:How can split up a large amount of code into smaller chunks?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:14:43 GMT 2024