Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » MAT fails to run inside Eclipse due to known seg fault - workarounds don't appear to work
MAT fails to run inside Eclipse due to known seg fault - workarounds don't appear to work [message #1343880] Fri, 09 May 2014 13:57 Go to next message
Grant Y is currently offline Grant YFriend
Hey

So I'm currently working on a plugin for the Memory Analyzer Tool. I'm using eclipse for this work of course. However on my machine I can't seem to get MAT running in Eclipse to test out changes, etc...

Some background first I have MAT installed separately in it's own folder and am using eclipse to work specifically on the plugin files. I have however pointed eclipse to the MAT install as the Target Platform under the Plug-In development settings. For running the MAT + Plugin I have specified a standard Eclipse application Run Configuration. With the target platform already set up the default settings for this configuration seemed to all check out, specifically the program to run that was set to org.eclipse.mat.ui.rcp.MemoryAnalyzer. However it may be the case that the issue I'm getting is due to this ootb configuration. Thought I would call these out just in case.

On to the actual issue. It's this resolved bug here - https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=404776. I'm on linux mint 16 petra and indeed it appears my libsoup install is too new and causing webkit to freak out.

I got the issue in two places - When I start MAT (1.3.1) on it's own as well as when I tried to run it in eclipse (4.3.2). I found the above bug and indeed applied the workaround of specifying -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla in the MemoryAnalyzer.ini. This indeed seem to solve my issue for MAT standalone.

However the problem I'm having is in eclipse. Not eclipse itself I should state, it has never given me this issue. It's when I try to run MAT from eclipse. I just get the same error log in the console. I've applied the workaround to the eclipse.ini but this hasn't solved the issue.

It would appear that eclipse is starting the MAT without that specific setting.

Any ideas?

As an aside is the above linked bug only for eclipse or does it also cover MAT? As it's currently in resovled status I was confused to why I would be seeing it but I realized MAT may be separate.

Many Thanks.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 May 2014 08:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MAT fails to run inside Eclipse due to known seg fault - workarounds don't appear to work [message #1349618 is a reply to message #1343880] Mon, 12 May 2014 09:19 Go to previous message
Grant Y is currently offline Grant YFriend
40000 views! Surprised

Seems like it's a headscratcher indeed. I believe AMT runs off an older version of eclipse so it should receive the same bugfix eventually. Until then I've added a comment to a separate bug that's been raised for MAT itself - https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=422281

Still though if anyone can think of why the workaround isn't being applied inside eclipse please do let me know.
Previous Topic:SVN Credential issue
Next Topic:Eclipse 4.4.0M7 and formatting settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:58:05 GMT 2024