Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » View Report in Web Viewer Error(Unable to use BIRT Web Viewer within Eclipse)
View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1341568] Thu, 08 May 2014 14:48 Go to next message
Harry Mantheakis is currently offline Harry MantheakisFriend
I am using Eclipse 4.3 Kepler with BIRT 4.3.2 on a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 and Java 8.

When I select Run -> View Report -> In Web Viewer I get the following error message:

HTTP ERROR: 500
Problem accessing /viewer/frameset. Reason:

Server Error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powered by Jetty://

How can I fix this?
Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1375661 is a reply to message #1341568] Fri, 23 May 2014 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Have you tried using an external browser?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1376599 is a reply to message #1375661] Fri, 23 May 2014 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I have - no luck.
Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1384491 is a reply to message #1376599] Thu, 29 May 2014 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You might try this out. I'm pretty sure Kris originally tried this because the viewer wasn't working with Java 8.

http://blogs.actuate.com/using-birt-viewer-toolkit-as-the-default-viewer/

Michael

Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1384557 is a reply to message #1384491] Thu, 29 May 2014 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the link.

Setting up BIRT Viewer to work with a local instance of (say) Tomcat, using a workspace that Tomcat can access, etc., is not quite the simple solution I was hoping for.

We do use BIRT Viewer to render our reports in our application - and we use the Ant "sync" task to update reports (from an Eclipse workspace to a Tomcat webapps context) during development, which is a good workaround for when a BIRT report is already wired into an application that can (in turn) be used to invoke the report. (You do not even have to re-start Tomcat to see the changes, which is cool.)

What I was hoping for was a standalone solution whereby a developer does not need to be running Tomcat (or any other Servlet container) with BIRT Viewer deployed, etc.

I am sure that at one time the BIRT Viewer feature worked out-of-the-box, but I could be wrong about that.
Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1384639 is a reply to message #1384557] Thu, 29 May 2014 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The viewer works for me. My guess is it's because of Java 8, but I could be wrong on that. Have you tried using Java 7?

Michael

Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1384683 is a reply to message #1384639] Fri, 30 May 2014 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just tried it with Java 7 - the outer BIRT Report Viewer "frame" renders correctly (headers, buttons, etc.) but the report area itself remains blank.

What is more, with Java 7 the "Preview" function now fails - nothing is displayed.

I had the "Preview" function working with Java 8 after setting the following two properties in the "eclipse.ini" file:

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=ie,mozilla
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.IEVersion=9999

The above idea came from another online thread regarding the fact that the "Preview" function does not work with default settings either.

I have posted a bug report here, though nobody has responded yet:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=435395

Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1385219 is a reply to message #1384683] Thu, 05 June 2014 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It seems to be an issue with the internal Jetty server and Java 8 because I can deploy BIRT to Tomcat 7 using Java 8 and get the appropriate output.

Michael

Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1385315 is a reply to message #1385219] Thu, 05 June 2014 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We have no issues with deploying BIRT Viewer in Tomcat. Everything works fine.

The problem I have is with Eclipse running on its own.

It should be possible to select "Run -> View Report -> In Web Viewer" and see a BIRT Viewer rendition of the report currently open in Eclipse.

I seem to recall that - a good while back - this used to work .

With Java 7 it *almost* works - the BIRT Viewer "window" (header, buttons, etc.) renders, but the report fails to display.

Am I correct in thinking that selecting "Run -> View Report -> In Web Viewer" should display my report - with Eclipse running on its own, and default settings?
Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1385317 is a reply to message #1385315] Thu, 05 June 2014 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My point in saying that Tomcat works is because Tomcat is different than the Jetty server used inside of Eclipse. I know you were talking about from the designer. Smile

Yes, you should be able to run the web viewer using the method you say above. You'll probably need to go to the Preferences -> Report Design -> Preview and select to use external browser for it to work properly with Java 7. Let me know.

Michael

Re: View Report in Web Viewer Error [message #1385337 is a reply to message #1385317] Thu, 05 June 2014 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, thank you Michael: BIRT Report Viewer works with my "Default system web browser" external browser - which happens to be Firefox - running under Java 7.

When I tried this with Java 8, I get the same error message as I originally posted:

HTTP ERROR: 500
Problem accessing /viewer/frameset. Reason:
Server Error