Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository?
How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1339774] Wed, 07 May 2014 20:54 Go to next message
Steve Mayer is currently offline Steve MayerFriend
Hi,

Gratulations on the progress regarding Java 1.8!

My current aim is that I would like to build object teams from the GIT repository for my experiments.

What is the needed setup and what are the steps needed to build OT from git? How can I build the Equinox Plugin?

My approach was:
- Install Eclipse Kepler 4.3.0
- Install corresponding OT
- I use Java 1.7 (are there any requirements on the jave version? I have Java OpenJDK 1.7.0_51 and regular 1.7.0_55 Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment).

Questions:
- what is the recommended way to install Maven? (perhaps I did an error there)
- do I have to use "EGit" or can I just use git on the command line to clone the OT git repository?
- how do I import and build OT/ODTD using maven?
- how do I import and build the Equinox Plugin using maven?

Further:
- is there a backup way to simply use maven on the command line, i.e., "mvn" on the command line? I.e., use that to build OT/OTDT and also the Equinox plugin?

Danke und viele Grüße aus Wien,
Stephan

PS: currently I get the following error message:
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] The project org.eclipse.jdt:org.eclipse.jdt.core:3.10.0-SNAPSHOT (/home/stephan/Downloads/org.eclipse.objectteams/org.eclipse.jdt.core/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR] Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact eclipse.jdt.core:eclipse.jdt.core:pom:4.4.0-SNAPSHOT and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 14, column 11 -> [Help 2]
[ERROR]

Picture of the ERROR:

index.php/fa/18037/0/
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1339988 is a reply to message #1339774] Wed, 07 May 2014 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Hi Steve,

A small update first regarding OT/J & Java 8:
- Luna M7 contains a version of OTDT that passes all compiler tests incl. those for Java 8
- Running the resulting programs is disabled for some tests in 1.8 mode
- The announced alternative weaver is in place and shipped with the OTDT, but it still causes some regressions in tests, so it is recommended only for initial tests at this point. I hope to get it complete for Luna GA, so that we can re-anable all disabled runtime tests.

To your request:
- OTDT is not yet configured for building with Maven,
- The fact that in some projects you find a pom is simply due to these projects being forks from JDT
- The build we're using on the server is documented in http://wiki.eclipse.org/OTBuilding but I doubt that you really want to run that at home Smile
- I just realized we don't even publish a psf file for easy importing of all relevant projects, I'll fix this in a minute.

With that setup you'll be able to compile everything in the IDE and also exporting a p2 repository should work in interactive mode.

Would that be good enough for you?

cheers,
Stephan

Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1339997 is a reply to message #1339988] Wed, 07 May 2014 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one more thing: not sure if obvious: compiling all of the OTDT requires running the OTDT as your IDE Smile
Due to recent changes for work on master you should actually install the fresh OTDT 2.3 M7:
- download Eclipse SDK 4.4 M7 from http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/S-4.4M7-201405010200/
- install OTDT from http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/ot2.3-m7

S.
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1340055 is a reply to message #1339997] Wed, 07 May 2014 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just updated https://wiki.eclipse.org/OTDevelopmentSetup and added links to the .psf files (see "Simple checkout").

HTH,
Stephan
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1747030 is a reply to message #1340055] Tue, 08 November 2016 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars Schütze is currently offline Lars SchützeFriend

Hi Stephan,

I just installed a fresh Eclipse for Eclipse Committers Neon and the respective OTDT. I imported the two mentioned .psf files but I still have some errors. (see attached image). I am using Java 8 (1.8.0_111).

Maybe you can point me to what is wrong. The OTDevelopmentSetup Wiki page says that everything should be fine now which isn't.

Regards,
Lars
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1747039 is a reply to message #1747030] Tue, 08 November 2016 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars Schuetze wrote on Tue, 08 November 2016 17:15
I just installed a fresh Eclipse for Eclipse Committers Neon and the respective OTDT. I imported the two mentioned .psf files but I still have some errors. (see attached image).

This most likely is a matter of not exactly matching versions of your IDE vs. the sources you've checked out. You may want to check by switching to branch maintenance/OTDT_2.5.x which should hopefully be compilable in OTDT Neon.

I'll do some quick experiments and will be back with more definite answers, soon,
Stephan

Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1747042 is a reply to message #1747039] Tue, 08 November 2016 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confirmed: I got all projects from otdt.psf to compile without "significant" errors in both configurations:

• using OTDT Neon and the branch maintenance/OTDT_2.5.x from git
  • using OTDT Oxygen M3 and branch master from git

Two errors are still shown:
An API baseline has not been set for the current workspace.
Execution environment references were not checked for 'org.eclipse.jdt.core' because no environment descriptions are installed.

These can be ignored for now.

I still need to check the state of affairs regarding otdt-all-tests.psf.

Stephan
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1747045 is a reply to message #1747042] Tue, 08 November 2016 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
otdt-all-tests.psf also "basically" works, if versions of IDE and sources match.
I found that a few test projects, which use OT/J for their own implementation, didn't properly configure the weaving scheme (should be OTDRE), which caused trouble in a workspace build. Will fix that.
If you manually switch these projects to OTDRE you should be able to get past most compile errors.
Three errors re "Access Restriction" remain in project o.e.o.otdt.apt. I'll look into those soonish, too.

best,
Stephan
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1747072 is a reply to message #1747045] Wed, 09 November 2016 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you very much. Now I have switched all referenced git repositories from Eclipse into R_4_6 maintenance, too and installed the "API Execution Tools Environment Descriptions" and set the baseline to the current installation and all errors are gone.
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1747099 is a reply to message #1747072] Wed, 09 November 2016 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars Schuetze wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 09:55
Thank you very much. Now I have switched all referenced git repositories from Eclipse into R_4_6 maintenance, too and installed the "API Execution Tools Environment Descriptions" and set the baseline to the current installation and all errors are gone.

Great, thanks for confirming.
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1780252 is a reply to message #1747099] Fri, 19 January 2018 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

And now for something completely different ...

I have installed Photon M4 IDE and use OTJ and it's git dependencies from master.
I got errors that things are missing on Interfaces for the Test cases (see picture attached). Am I on the wrong branch? These org.eclipse.jdt.core plugin sources are contained in the OTJ git repository.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 January 2018 10:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1780694 is a reply to message #1780252] Thu, 25 January 2018 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
I got errors that things are missing on Interfaces for the Test cases (see picture attached). Am I on the wrong branch? These org.eclipse.jdt.core plugin sources are contained in the OTJ git repository.

Yes, folks were quite busy across components. You'd need a similarly recent SDK to run on (or as a target platform if you will).
Just today the following build has been declared as an M5 candidate: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20180124-2000/
So this would be a good baseline for all this, matching also today's updates in OT git.

HTH,
Stephan
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1781704 is a reply to message #1780694] Mon, 12 February 2018 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okay, I installed Eclipse SDK 4.8M5 and now all errors are gone. However, the IDE is unusable. So I updated to latest I-build and it is still unusable.

[shortened the post]

I opened bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=531037.

The whole task becomes very tedious and all started because the standard Orbit builds of ASM are no debug builds. :-(

[Updated on: Mon, 12 February 2018 12:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1781720 is a reply to message #1781704] Mon, 12 February 2018 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The situation is aggravated by the fact, that recent changes in p2 made it impossible to contribute Object Teams to SimRel M5 :(
So perhaps you now have a mix of recent JDT with older OTDT.

Meanwhile the bugs in p2 have been fixed. I will provide links to a working combination later today.
In M6 all this should be resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1781749 is a reply to message #1781720] Tue, 13 February 2018 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, here is a combo that appears to be compatible / functional:

- Eclipse SDK from http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20180206-0315/
- Then add OTDT from http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/ot2.7/201802111717

If you prefer to start from an Eclipse package M5 you can update like this:
- first update JDT from http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.8-I-builds/I20180206-0315/
- then install OTDT from the above URL

Depending on the package, you may have to enable "[x] Contact all update sites ..." so it will be able to pull in PDE which is required by an OTDT plug-in.

I do hope one of these approaches works for you.

Oh, and after installing OTDT, the next restart should be a cold start, due to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=323565 but you may already know this.

regards,
Stephan
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1782629 is a reply to message #1781749] Tue, 27 February 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks, that helped. I'll stay now with that intermediate version until the new Eclipse version gets released ;-)
Re: How to build OT/ODTD and Equinox from GIT repository? [message #1782633 is a reply to message #1782629] Tue, 27 February 2018 09:58 Go to previous message
Thanks for confirming, and sorry again for all the hassle ...
Previous Topic:OTDT takes a break during Oxygen.1a
Next Topic:LIBPATH issue with GTK+ on AIX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:02:21 GMT 2024