Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes
xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1323142] Wed, 30 April 2014 05:44 Go to next message
Markus Duft is currently offline Markus DuftFriend
Hey!

I have added my DSL's main plugin (the one containing the .xtext and mwe2 files) to our "large" workspace (~800 plugins, ~30000 java files, ~2GB on disc). I just added it, nothing more, and now when changing something unrelated (in a different plugin; in this particular case i changes a .target file in the default text editor) eclipse hangs on save. It returns after a few /minutes/ (!) only.

I have jstack'd a little, and it seems that this is caused by the xtext builder somehow. Attached are a few of the observed stacks where it seems to spend some time

Any Ideas? I added the plugin so that I'm able to load my DSL files not only from the IDE but also at runtime from our applications...

EDIT: I used to develop this plugin in a smaller workspace used to develop our IDE integration stuff - there it worked perfectly.
  • Attachment: stacks.txt
    (Size: 10.18KB, Downloaded 293 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 30 April 2014 05:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1323171 is a reply to message #1323142] Wed, 30 April 2014 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now, this time it did not freeze the complete IDE, but instead created a task in the progress view "updating project 'xxx'" which hangs at zero percent and blocks all the other tasks... Neutral
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1323322 is a reply to message #1323171] Wed, 30 April 2014 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now i have the very same stack traces while it hangs in "Building workspace". The subtask is "Verifying com.someotherplugin/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" for a plugin that is not related to xtext at all... why is the xtext builder busy all the time while nothing interesting for it happens?
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1333594 is a reply to message #1323322] Mon, 05 May 2014 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no ideas, anyone?
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1333682 is a reply to message #1333594] Mon, 05 May 2014 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems that at least org.eclipse.xtext.builder.impl.ProjectOpenedOrClosedListener.scheduleRemoveProjectJob(IProject) has some quite uncool runtime behavior... can somebody elaborate on what this is doing and why? could we just kick that out or reduce it? "remove a project from my list" does not sound like it should double or triple (!!) the build time of our workspace Neutral
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1333691 is a reply to message #1323171] Mon, 05 May 2014 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
HI

The Xtext builder can certainly take along time.

Firstly it seems to index everything model-related very
enthusiastically. Microsoft at least provide a don't index in their UI,.

Secondly it seems to have a looping bug. I posted a log of such a
re-indexing loop in a Bugzilla.

Unfortunately the issues are not easily reproducible so no progress has
been made. The introduction of the Xtext index coincided with advances
in eGit and e4 where other problems have arisen. Further confusion
arises from other projects with deficient builders.

I think that the problems have reduced as we approach M7 with eGit
perhaps the major improver; but my observations are very subjective.

If you can post a reproducible bad behavior this issue might be addressable.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 30/04/2014 07:02, Markus Duft wrote:
> now, this time it did not freeze the complete IDE, but instead created
> a task in the progress view "updating project 'xxx'" which hangs at
> zero percent and blocks all the other tasks... :|
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1334293 is a reply to message #1333691] Mon, 05 May 2014 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Thanks for the answer Smile It seems that the handling of "projects it does not want to look at" takes 90 percent of the time it is working... Something is strange there. The long-lasting thing is asking JDT for whether a certain "Openable" is open or not.

I noticed that after some while some caches seem to get so hot, that there are not many delays anymore. Still my fellow devs will kill me if I ruin them a single day Wink
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1355046 is a reply to message #1334293] Wed, 14 May 2014 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have reported https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=434860 for this issue.

Another things im trying now is changing the default behaviour of the XtextBuilder. Is there a way to change the Guice bindings of the xtext modules from my own plugin without changing xtext itself?
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1355144 is a reply to message #1355046] Wed, 14 May 2014 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Depending on what you want to change you have to bind in your UI Module or
you provide a own module via extension point

<extension
        point="org.eclipse.xtext.ui.shared.overridingGuiceModule">
     <module
           class="my.OverridingBuilderModule">
     </module>
  </extension>  

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1356576 is a reply to message #1355144] Thu, 15 May 2014 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Smile this will change the behaviour for all plugins using the default XtextBuilder? Or only for my plugin then?
Re: xtext builder hangs eclipse on unrelated changes [message #1356603 is a reply to message #1356576] Thu, 15 May 2014 06:24 Go to previous message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi of course all Plugins will be affected

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Previous Topic:one file extension, multiple sub-grammars
Next Topic:Formatter required for blocks using xtext
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:00:48 GMT 2024