Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » .git/description use as git repo name(Similar to GitWeb, the file .git/description could be used to show the repo name, if it is not the default value)
.git/description use as git repo name [message #1312357] Thu, 24 April 2014 08:37 Go to next message
Lucas Ventura Carro is currently offline Lucas Ventura CarroFriend
Hi,

I'm a new user of git, and I've been using SourceTree as control version, although I develop with Eclipse.
I group some of the projects in folders, so the folder structure is like this:
+- manager
   +- common
   +- server
+- portal
   +- common
   +- server

And the Eclipse project name is build as 'parentfoldername'-'currentfoldername'. So they are:

• manager-common
  • manager-server
  • portal-common
  • portal-server

Each one of them, is a Git repo, so I have 4 repos, which in SourceTree I could change the name locally (even the Git URL also ends with the name over '.git).

Now I've shared my projects using EGit, and when I go to 'Git Repository Exploring' perspective, I can find these 4 projects.... but are "duplicated names". In other words, instead of see the 4 project names I see:

• common - c:\manager\common\.git
  • server - c:\manager\server\.git
  • common - c:\portal\common\.git
  • server - c:\portal\server\.git

A Google search didn't helped to let me change the name of the repository, even locally. But I found http:{slash}{slash}stackoverflow.com{slash}q{slash}2041993/1099452 question, that tolds that '.git/description' can be changed to be the project name. But although I change it, I don't see any change in the Git perspective.

I've also tryed to import directly from the git URL but when using the subfolder structure, applies anyway the bad name.

Is there any way to change the repository name?
Could be a new feature to read the '.git/description' and if it is not the default value, show as repo name?

Thanks!
P.S.: Sorry for the URL, I can link to outside eclipse.org Sad

[Updated on: Thu, 24 April 2014 08:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .git/description use as git repo name [message #1315487 is a reply to message #1312357] Sat, 26 April 2014 01:11 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
AFAIK .git/description is used by git browsers like gitweb

AFAIK EGit doesn't yet support customizable repository name independent from last segment of the repository path
Previous Topic:Getting status of repository
Next Topic:Merge deleting folders and files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:52:58 GMT 2024