Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » valgrind and PTP interaction(Use valgrind in conjunction with Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform)
valgrind and PTP interaction [message #1297317] Tue, 15 April 2014 15:33 Go to next message
Christoph Pospiech is currently offline Christoph PospiechFriend
Hi,

eventually, I am now using valgrind in conjunction with PTP. By that I mean
the following.

1. I am using compilation as usual.
2. I am making a copy of an existing run configuration (works with interactive and batch configurations; I tried successfully with IBM PE and OpenMPI). Then I move the name of the executable to the argument tab. The new executable now is /usr/bin/valgrind.
3. The arguments for valgrind (also in the argument tab, preceding the name of the executable) should contain
--log-file=valgrind.log.%q{OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK}
(OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK being replaced by MP_CHILD for IBM PE).
4. PTP synchronization copies the valgrind logs back to the local system.

What I am missing is the access to the valgrind log parser that appears to be the core of the ordinary Eclipse valgrind support as mentioned above.

Does anyone know how to direct the Eclipse valgrind support to the valgrind
logs that were generated on the remote system ?

Christoph Pospiech
Re: valgrind and PTP interaction [message #1387897 is a reply to message #1297317] Wed, 25 June 2014 18:57 Go to previous message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
I can't speak to what PTP supports, but from Linux Tools alone you can install and use the Remote Valgrind feature which allows you to profile a remote
executable using Valgrind. You just need to specify the external location. RSE and RDT are supported via the included RDT proxy for Linux Tools
or you can alternatively use ssh. Once installed, just create a Profiling Tools->Profiling Configurations... and add a new Valgrind Remote profiling
configuration. In the configuration you can specify where the executable is, where it can be run on the remote system, and Valgrind options.
Previous Topic:Linux Tools 3.0 is released
Next Topic:Gcov .c annotation failure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:06:46 GMT 2024