Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Creating watchpoints for global variables(Creating watchpoints for global variables)
Creating watchpoints for global variables [message #1297083] Tue, 15 April 2014 12:04
Alan Rouse is currently offline Alan RouseFriend
I use Eclipse to develop and debug firmware written in C for an ARM processor.

With the old Eclipse Indigo I was able to right-click in the Variables window then select Add Global Variables to be presented with a list of all global variables. When a global variable was in the Variables window I could right-click on it and select Add Watchpoint (C/C++) as required. If the variable was an array I could expand it and right-click on the required element to select a watchpoint.

This feature has been deleted from later versions of Eclipse. Now if I want to watch a global variable I can drag it from the editor window to the Expressions window. However, I can find no way of setting a watchpoint on a global variable. The documentation infers that I should be able to highlight it in the editor then select from the menu Run/Toggle watchpoint, but this option is always greyed out. Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't cover the case where I might want to set a watchpoint on an element of an array if the editor line read, for example Array[Index].

The newer versions of Eclipse offer many nice additional features, so I like using the latest Kepler. However, until I can resolve this issue I need to keep Indigo and switch between them, depending what I want to do.
Previous Topic:Custom xml creator with DND
Next Topic:Buttons in setTabList do no accept focus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:31:50 GMT 2024