Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Need org.eclipse.wst.server plugin
Need org.eclipse.wst.server plugin [message #217138] Tue, 08 July 2008 21:40 Go to next message
John J. Barton is currently offline John J. BartonFriend
My plugin requires org.eclipse.wst.server. However, it does not make
sense to tell my users that: they will just ask me what version of
eclipse they need. So...how can I map a plugin requirement to a version
of eclipse requirement?

Thanks,
John
Re: Need org.eclipse.wst.server plugin [message #217191 is a reply to message #217138] Wed, 09 July 2008 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:40:37 -0400, John J Barton <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote:

> My plugin requires org.eclipse.wst.server. However, it does not make
> sense to tell my users that: they will just ask me what version of
> eclipse they need. So...how can I map a plugin requirement to a version
> of eclipse requirement?
>

There is probably more than one way to do this, depending on exactly what you are trying to do, and with which version of eclipse you are trying to work with, so take these remarks as sort of an outline of what could be done, and fine tune to your needs.

First, make sure you have the correct 'range' specified in your plugin's manfest.mf requires statement (and by correct, I mean the lowest workable version to the highest version possible ... ideally something like

Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.wst.server.core;bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"

Then, you'll need a feature, which _includes_ your plugin, but 'requires' the wst.server.core plugin, with the same version ranget specified. This feature comes into play when your code is installed. If the user already has a suitable one installed, fine, if not it will attempt to "pull" one from somewhere. You can actually reship it if you want! With P2 I think there's ways you can "point to" where to get it (though not sure those techniques are well documented yet ... but, don't be afraid to look, they might be.

Does this help? Or, have I mis-read your question?
Re: Need org.eclipse.wst.server plugin [message #217228 is a reply to message #217191] Wed, 09 July 2008 16:45 Go to previous message
John J. Barton is currently offline John J. BartonFriend
David Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:40:37 -0400, John J Barton <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
>> My plugin requires org.eclipse.wst.server. However, it does not make
>> sense to tell my users that: they will just ask me what version of
>> eclipse they need. So...how can I map a plugin requirement to a version
>> of eclipse requirement?
>>
>
> There is probably more than one way to do this, depending on exactly what you are trying to do, and with which version of eclipse you are trying to work with, so take these remarks as sort of an outline of what could be done, and fine tune to your needs.
>
> First, make sure you have the correct 'range' specified in your plugin's manfest.mf requires statement (and by correct, I mean the lowest workable version to the highest version possible ... ideally something like
>
> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.wst.server.core;bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"
>
> Then, you'll need a feature, which _includes_ your plugin, but 'requires' the wst.server.core plugin, with the same version ranget specified. This feature comes into play when your code is installed. If the user already has a suitable one installed, fine, if not it will attempt to "pull" one from somewhere. You can actually reship it if you want! With P2 I think there's ways you can "point to" where to get it (though not sure those techniques are well documented yet ... but, don't be afraid to look, they might be.

So I need to put dependency information on the feature as well as the
plugin? That explains a lot right there: I just imagined that the
feature did this already (otherwise what would it be good for?)

I'll look in to the feature thing.

>
> Does this help? Or, have I mis-read your question?

Yes, and yes! I was asking a dumber question: what do I tell users when
they don't have my pre-req. But your answer might also fix them.

Thanks,
John.
Previous Topic:Questions about building on top of the XML Editor
Next Topic:can not add breakpoint inside javascript
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:27:14 GMT 2024