Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing
Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1290805] Thu, 10 April 2014 12:57 Go to next message
Stefan Miller is currently offline Stefan MillerFriend
Hi together,

I have been playing around with Jubula to test some RCP applications. In one special application a combination of SWT and Swing is used.

According to the following two pages it is not possible to test applications combining Swing and SWT:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/261706/

I was not able to start this application with Jubula, otherwise I would just have tried it. But is this still not possible and are there any plans to integrate this into Jubula? If yes, how long could it roughly take until the support is implemented in Jubula?

Greetings
Stefan
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1290975 is a reply to message #1290805] Thu, 10 April 2014 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your question. The status hasn't changed - basically this appears to be something that comes up every so often, but not often enough for us to work on support of our own accord - and not critical enough for it to have been done as sponsored development yet. If your case is that "but I really need it (and am willing to do some sponsorship)", then contact us via the testing portal (1).
Alternatively, if you want to do some work on supporting this in Jubula (and perhaps even contributing your work), then that would be lovely and we'd be happy to help you with questions.

Best regards,
Alex

(1) http://testing.bredex.de
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1429073 is a reply to message #1290805] Mon, 22 September 2014 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dylan McReynolds is currently offline Dylan McReynoldsFriend
My company is evaluating Jubula as it's automated testing tool. We, too, mix in Swing with an RCP product. I might be interested in contributing such functionality, but have no idea what kind of effort would be required. Pretty new to Jubula.
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1429356 is a reply to message #1429073] Tue, 23 September 2014 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi Dylan,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'll forward your post on, and see what the logical steps would be to think about doing something like this. I don't suppose you're at Eclipse Con Europe?

Best regards,
Alex
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1429591 is a reply to message #1429356] Tue, 23 September 2014 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex,

No, I am not.

Cheers,
Dylan
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1430538 is a reply to message #1429073] Wed, 24 September 2014 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achim Loerke is currently offline Achim LoerkeFriend

Hi Dylan,

to get started with such a project you would need a few weeks to get to know the internals of Jubula. We have once estimated that for an experienced Jubula developer (hence the "get to know" time) and depending on the completeness of the solution one would need 3 to 12 month to add support for mixing RCP and Swing. There are a lot of pitfalls mixing two GUI toolkits and a reasonable approach would support only a "standard" way of interaction between SWT and Swing (whatever the standard might be).

If you are still interested please contact the team on the jubula-dev mailing list and we will try to work out how we can support you in this approach.

- Achim
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1431333 is a reply to message #1430538] Thu, 25 September 2014 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sylvain EVEILLARD is currently offline Sylvain EVEILLARDFriend
We do have the same case, RCP + Swing.
We managed to deal with it using two different AUTs which are in fact the same application but one AUT is the RCP and the other is the Swing part.
It works like a charm.
Some drawbacks though :
- we have to cut the testjobs in multiple testsuites, as each suite is linked to one and only one AUT.
- when the test is executing we lose a bit of time on the switches from one AUT to another
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1444723 is a reply to message #1431333] Tue, 14 October 2014 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achim, I will think about it. That's a lot of time for preparation, but not a big surprise.

Our application also uses the SWT Browser control extensively. I assume that we are going to have the same issue with RCP/HTML AUTs?

Sylvian, that is an interesting idea. Since something done in Swing may affect the state a widget in RCP, I do not happen to see a way to test the result of a Swing action from one test suite to the in RCP.

Thanks,
Dylan
Re: Test support for applications combining SWT/Swing [message #1799243 is a reply to message #1431333] Mon, 03 December 2018 11:05 Go to previous message
Frank Clark is currently offline Frank ClarkFriend
Sylvain,

I too have a similar scenario to yourself - the core of my AUTs are RCP, with some ancillary applications which are swing.

Are you able to give me a brief outline on how you tackled this with switching between test jobs?

My testing of outcomes within both application types are dependent on actions within each, so with the continued Jubula shortcoming of working with both simultaneously is posing quite a difficult hurdle.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 December 2018 10:04]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:User defined functions: external methods HowTo
Next Topic:Dear Jubula User, I would like to inform you that as every year the Jubula Team says goodbye during
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:22:21 GMT 2024