Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Getting Started with Gun and Camera(Getting Started? Really?)
Getting Started with Gun and Camera [message #1288249] Tue, 08 April 2014 11:57 Go to next message
Clinton Osborn is currently offline Clinton OsbornFriend
Getting Started tutorials are full of acronyms that obviously do not contribute to the basic understanding of the material and there are numerous errors in the instructions. For example, The Help->Welcome page offers a tutorial for a SWT "plug-in" that performs a window based "Hello World". The beginning instructions guide you through the requirement to import a "Plug-in Development > Plug-ins and Fragments" to import the SWT. I don't know which version of Eclipse is being used but my File->Import menu does not mention a plug-in option. Looking at the Forum thread for this "getting started" topic, the numerous comments bare out the difficulty with getting this SWT project to work even for the people that downloaded the source code with the project.

Now, what about returning to the Help->Welcome page screen? Hmmm, well using Help->Welcome returns you to the SWT project. Back arrow? No grayed out. Hitting the window cancel button? No that just closes help. Using the "Restore Welcome" link? No does not do anything. Reinstall Eclipse?

What about Help->Help Content->Java Development User Guide->Getting Started->Basic Tutorial->Preparing Java and making sure we have the right JRE installed? Hey maybe this why I cannot use jFrame. Now we are getting somewhere. But wait Select the menu item Window->Preferences? Well, that menu item does not exist. Preferences are under the Eclipse menu in my version of Eclipse. Interestingly trying to use jFrame I get the message that jFrame can not be used because /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk.1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Home/re/lib/rt.jar is missing. UnderEclipse->Preferences it seems to be listed except that under the installed JRE's it is shown as
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk.1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Home. Obviously makes a difference but what is going on? Well, I have not got started even after a lot of very frustrating work.
Re: Getting Started with Gun and Camera [message #1288369 is a reply to message #1288249] Tue, 08 April 2014 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Where did you get your version of Eclipse? The versions available from the eclipse.org site all have their preferences under the Window menu item. There isn't even an Eclipse menu item in Eclipse.
Re: Getting Started with Gun and Camera [message #1288411 is a reply to message #1288369] Tue, 08 April 2014 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am running on a Mac. I emailed the screen images to you. Thanks for the attention. Actually appears the the reason I can not run the SWT project is that I did not install RCP/RAP (whatever that means). Right now I am trying to upgrade my version by installing the ability to develop plug-ins (another personal significant challenge) -- since I do not know the name of the addition.
Re: Getting Started with Gun and Camera [message #1288418 is a reply to message #1288411] Tue, 08 April 2014 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can forget about developing plug ins. What I would really like to do is use JFrame. You would think that would not be an issue because the version of Eclipse I downloaded (Eclipse IDE for Java Developers) has WindowsBuilder included.
Re: Getting Started with Gun and Camera [message #1289781 is a reply to message #1288418] Wed, 09 April 2014 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Next week after I get my social security check I am going to give a donation to Eclipse. Hopefully this will change the help responses. Maybe the money will be better spent if I buy a book.
Re: Getting Started with Gun and Camera [message #1297695 is a reply to message #1289781] Tue, 15 April 2014 21:30 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

A clear indication of what you were trying to do would probably be cheaper (indicating the roadblocks you ran into is probably fine if you at least get that part in there). Reading your original post in this thread, I'm hard pressed to figure that out, or find a question that doesn't come across as rhetorical.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Requires 'bundle org.eclipse.team.ui 3.7.1'
Next Topic:Warning of "invalid line number"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:27:20 GMT 2024