Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » GMF tutorial
GMF tutorial [message #1282599] Wed, 02 April 2014 15:07 Go to next message
Edmundo López Bóbeda is currently offline Edmundo López BóbedaFriend
Hello,

I know there are several tutorials out there that explain how to use GMF, but I feel that none of them explains well the concepts, and the different models (and they are suuuuuper old). They just give a series of steps to build your first editor and assume that you are very familiar with the model driven architecture.

So I decided to write my own and maybe help the ones that arrive to GMF without the "right" background. It's not the most complete explanation but at least it gives another choice to people starting out.

Right now I'm writing the third part of it (Mapping Model and Customization of the code), here are the "links" to the first two parts:

edmundo.lopezbobeda.net/blog/how-create-petri-net-editor-using-gmf-part-1
edmundo.lopezbobeda.net/blog/how-create-petri-net-editor-using-gmf-part-2

If you have any useful feedback, please do not hesitate to comment (on the posts, or here) or send me a message. I really want them to be a good resource.

Have a nice day,

eD

PS: The forum won't let me put a link, so if someone find my tutorials useful, please put the links in the answer.
Re: GMF tutorial [message #1283691 is a reply to message #1282599] Thu, 03 April 2014 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. Brown is currently offline Paul C. BrownFriend
A very nice start. I, too, am struggling with graphical representations that do not fit the built-in mapping paradigm between EMF and GMF representations. I am curious as to whether you will cover the following topics:

1. Diagrams as views that only show subsets of the EMF model. The content of the view is determined by the user. Accomplishing this is largely an exercise in understanding the interactions between the change notification schemes and the edit policies as mediated by the edit parts. This interaction is very difficult to understand for newcomers. I've been playing with it for a while and have an emerging understanding, but a coherent big-picture description of how it works would be invaluable.

Mixed in with this is the understanding of where and when commands are a) assembled and b) executed. This gets into the use of requests.

Guides to tracing/troubleshooting the whole policy execution, command assembly, and command execution process would benefit everyone!

2. Diagram elements that represent groupings of EMF elements. What I have in mind here is representing a tree of EMF elements by a single graphic element. Any relations that cross the boundary between the tree of EMF elements and other EMF elements can be optionally shown as links to the single graphic element. This is going to get more deeply into the policy and command structure.

Re: GMF tutorial [message #1295676 is a reply to message #1282599] Mon, 14 April 2014 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
melek mssaed is currently offline melek mssaedFriend
hello
I try to creat a gmf from an ecore model and i need to know how to have on the palette nood wich Contains a figure of an actor and an ellipse for the use case and links such as extend an include.
I need your answer and tanks a lot Smile
Re: GMF tutorial [message #1340798 is a reply to message #1283691] Thu, 08 May 2014 07:16 Go to previous message
Edmundo López Bóbeda is currently offline Edmundo López BóbedaFriend
Hello Paul,

I've just finished the last part of my 4 parts tutorial. I think showing Diagrams as views that show subsets of the EMF model really requires a big understanding of GMF and its architecture. The second one however should not be very hard to do, the question is how to define the links to the elements that are in the tree. Can you think of a concrete example of what you want to do?
Previous Topic:Not to dirty the editor when figure is collapsed/expanded
Next Topic:The GMF project page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:38:07 GMT 2024