Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Code Recommenders specialized for Scout
Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1282066] Tue, 01 April 2014 20:31 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Marcel Bruch posted on twitter:

Quote:
Playing around with @EclipseScout and Crowdsourced code completion (specialized to support the Scout dev model) #fun pic.twitter.com/5Ah4R3eZ02

index.php/fa/17871/0/

This post is here to keep and share information about the project.
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1282406 is a reply to message #1282066] Wed, 02 April 2014 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Nick is currently offline Matthias NickFriend
Hi,
thank you very much for this cool feature. I tried it with my workspace and have a question. I created an AbstractStringField and start the override completion.

The completion now shows me all available methods sorted in alphabetical order (scroll0.png).
index.php/fa/17872/0/

When I type "getconf" and press auto completion, it now shows what other users have overridden (scroll1.png).
index.php/fa/17873/0/

I would expect to have the most overridden methods on top of the list, even if I haven't typed 'getconf' before. Is this intended behavior?
  • Attachment: scroll0.png
    (Size: 119.53KB, Downloaded 469 times)
  • Attachment: scroll1.png
    (Size: 123.44KB, Downloaded 445 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 02 April 2014 08:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1282611 is a reply to message #1282066] Wed, 02 April 2014 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Hi Jeremie,
Hi Matthias,

thanks for moving this discussion into your forum. We put together a short installation guide [1] that shows how to install and configure our crowdsourced code completion for Eclipse Scout.

Matthias,
your question regarding proposal order: I *think* (maybe I'm wrong) you expected the getConf* methods to be on top - but they aren't, right? This is because public methods get a much higher relevance by JDT than protected methods. This is built-in behavior of JDT and we did not change this behavior.

Scout users,
if you have any questions, please post them here.

Thank you,
Marcel

[1] http://goo.gl/7ytglC

[Updated on: Wed, 02 April 2014 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1282844 is a reply to message #1282611] Wed, 02 April 2014 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
Hi Marcel,

first of all, thanks for your great work! If i understood correctly you are saying above, that the public methods appear at the top independent of the fact that there are zero counts for many of those coming from the Code Recommenders mining (and - at the same time - having observed many protected methods that have been frequently overridden).

As the configuration and behaviour of Scout elements are consistently modeled with the protected getConf* and exec* methods of the abstract field classes this is somewhat unfortunate. do you think that there is a chance in the future to more closely match the design of the Scout application model?

Tx for your feedback
Matthias
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1282861 is a reply to message #1282844] Wed, 02 April 2014 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

> If i understood correctly [...]

You do.

> As the configuration and behaviour of Scout elements are consistently modeled with the protected getConf*
> and exec* methods of the abstract field classes this is somewhat unfortunate. do you think that there is a
> chance in the future to more closely match the design of the Scout application model?

We are able to implement any ordering, labeling and highlighting scheme you'd like to see for Scout Smile
What else do you have in mind?
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1283767 is a reply to message #1282861] Thu, 03 April 2014 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if this is related... When I wanted to try it, I got this error (Luna M6).

index.php/fa/17887/0/

I did what is suggested and I disabled the "Scout Items" from both lists.

Now it seems to work...

Is it a problem not to have an internet connection (I code a lot in the train)?
  • Attachment: Problem.png
    (Size: 19.69KB, Downloaded 372 times)
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1283785 is a reply to message #1283767] Thu, 03 April 2014 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Jeremie,

please open your log file, spot the related error log entry and send it to support@codetrails.com. If possible please submit a minimal code snippet as well that may help us to reproduce the problem. Thanks!
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1288695 is a reply to message #1283785] Tue, 08 April 2014 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is not Code Recommenders related. I could reproduce it in a Scout SDK without Code Recommenders. (you need to enter CTRL + Space * 5 times).

Other question:

Should I worry about the Info messages in the Error Log?
index.php/fa/17897/0/

Example:
org.eclipse.scout:org.eclipse.scout.rt.extension.client:ovrd-freq:zip:0.0.0 could not be resolved from {path}\SimpleMyappWS\.metadata\.plugins\com.codetrails.connect.hippie.rcp\repository\http___download_codetrails_com_models_freq_v2.
  • Attachment: Error_log.png
    (Size: 24.89KB, Downloaded 352 times)
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1289181 is a reply to message #1288695] Wed, 09 April 2014 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

> Should I worry about the Info messages in the Error Log?

No. It's more a debug message saying that there is yet no model in the repository for this jar. As soon as you share data for that, the miner will create models and these messages will disappear.

Having said this, I think we simply should hide those messages.

Thanks for the feedback,
Marcel
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1289273 is a reply to message #1289181] Wed, 09 April 2014 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch wrote on Wed, 09 April 2014 07:31
As soon as you share data for that, the miner will create models and these messages will disappear.

Do I need to do something specific for that?

I as told, I am not always connected to the Internet when I code.
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1289278 is a reply to message #1289273] Wed, 09 April 2014 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No, as long as it's under org.eclipse you don't have to. You may use [1] to find out for which packages we have data for. For EclipseScout we only have a couple events yet. (Note that the data is updated daily).

But: We have a known issue with using proxies. In that case the data is not send. Are you working behind proxies in your company?

Best,
Marcel

[1] http://download.codetrails.com/connect/dashboard/sunburst/
Re: Code Recommenders specialized for Scout [message #1290553 is a reply to message #1289278] Thu, 10 April 2014 08:10 Go to previous message
Andreas Sewe is currently offline Andreas SeweFriend
As Marcel said, we so far only have a couple of events for org.eclipse.scout that have been supplied by users like you (and which are shown in [1]).

That being said, our Hippie code completion has been "bootstrapped" with usage data from real-world Eclipse Scout projects, so the numbers you see in your code completion will be larger than the ones in the Sunburst plot; the plot only shows events uploaded to us by the community.

[1] <http://download.codetrails.com/connect/dashboard/sunburst/>
Previous Topic:Create web service consumer on server - timeout
Next Topic:Define rows selection in a TableField at server side.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:25:34 GMT 2024