Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler
Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler [message #1278703] Thu, 27 March 2014 18:37 Go to next message
Warwick Burrows is currently offline Warwick BurrowsFriend
Hi,

I installed the latest release of Kepler and opened by existing workspace with it. All the other aspects of the Kepler release seem fine but when I run up the debugger and hit a break point I'm not able to "step in" to method calls using either the icon on the toolbar or using the shortcut key. Also when I "step over" with F6 or I have to then go and click on the executing line in the debug/stack trace window for it to take effect in the editor window. e.g. the step does occur but isn't reflected in the editor window. Is anyone else seeing this as I wasn't able to find anything in this forum.

As noted I'm on the latest Kepler standard build. Win 7 64-bit.

Thanks,
Warwick

[Updated on: Thu, 27 March 2014 18:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler [message #1278863 is a reply to message #1278703] Fri, 28 March 2014 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I've seen key bindings for F5-F8 stop working in the middle of a debug sessions, but I never experienced a situation where only the editor fails to follow the debugging process. Does the Variables view update correctly while stepping?
Do you have any other Java related plugins installed?
Re: Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler [message #1278868 is a reply to message #1278863] Fri, 28 March 2014 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the variables view updates correctly. Its just the editor view. I have Subclipse installed for subversion access but no other java dev plugins. Its a fresh install.

Thanks,
Warwick
Re: Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler [message #1288165 is a reply to message #1278868] Tue, 08 April 2014 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
Does it work fine with the previous Kepler release in the same workspace ?

Is there any entry in the error log ?

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Re: Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler [message #1288620 is a reply to message #1288165] Tue, 08 April 2014 18:32 Go to previous message
Sarika Sinha wrote on Tue, 08 April 2014 06:31
Does it work fine with the previous Kepler release in the same workspace ?

Is there any entry in the error log ?

There's nothing in the error log. And no I didnt have the same problem with Kepler SR1, but I did have other problems. Mainly with connecting and getting the thread stack visible, and also with stepping in that I was unable to consistently step. The stack would disappear and often I would lose the thread I was tracing and would need to look for the small arrow in the empty Debug view that indicates the thread that I was debugging in. I'm currently using Indigo to debug because I wasn't able to get any of the later versions of eclipse to debug correctly. I still have the same problems with Indigo with the missing stack information and having to find the arrow for my break point again but its less often and I can step in the Indigo debugger.

So back to Kepler SR2, I've tried a new workspace but the same problem is happening with stepping and as noted I don't see any errors in the error log view. So here is the behavior: When I step with F6

- I need to click into the Debug window for the step to take effect in the edit window. i.e. it stays on the previous line in the source until I click into the debug window.
- The line number shown for the current position in the source file doesn't change in the debug window. Even though I've stepped 10 lines the line number in the debug window shows I'm at the line I hit with the break point.
- Contrary to what I had said in my reply Stephan Hermann the Variables view does _not_ update with each stepped line. I have to click into the Variables view for the list of variables to refresh as well.
- I tried to use the "step over" icon in the Eclipse toolbar and its stopped working altogther now. I'm not able to step with F6 anymore and the step icons on the toolbar have all been disabled as if I'm stepping. When I click on a previous frame in the thread stack it now tells me that its an invalid stack frame.

Thanks,
Warwick

Previous Topic:Java 1.8 null annotations cause 'Contradictory null annotations' error
Next Topic:Java Template Doesn't Work With an Indented Brace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:07:02 GMT 2024