Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » [SOLVED] xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6?
[SOLVED] xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277056] Tue, 25 March 2014 12:29 Go to next message
Marc Schlegel is currently offline Marc SchlegelFriend
Messages: 69
Registered: July 2009
Member
I created a little PoC using xText 2.5.3 which I would like to introduce to my current project now.

Since on the projects we are kind of stuck with Eclipse 3.6, because of using IBM Rationals Software Architect 8.0.4, I would like to know which version of xText I have to use in order to run the DSL-UI-Plugin on that distribution?

I know I can create a separate Modelling-Distribution-product but I need to provide it in our main IDE (RSA) in order to comply to project standards.

Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 25 March 2014 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277120 is a reply to message #1277056] Tue, 25 March 2014 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30900
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Marc,

I believe that the latest release of Xtext should work with Eclipsed 3.6.

On 25/03/2014 5:29 AM, Marc Schlegel wrote:
> I created a little PoC using xText 2.5.3 which I would like to
> introduce to my current project now.
>
> Since on the projects we are kind of stuck with Eclipse 3.6, because
> of using IBM Rationals Software Architect 8.0.4, I would like to know
> which version of xText I have to use in order to run the DSL-UI-Plugin
> on that distribution?
>
> I know I can create a separate Modelling-Distribution-product but I
> need to provide it in our main IDE (RSA) in order to comply to project
> standards.
>
> Thanks
Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277132 is a reply to message #1277120] Tue, 25 March 2014 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Schlegel is currently offline Marc SchlegelFriend
Messages: 69
Registered: July 2009
Member
That would be great. My concerns are based on dependency injection in Eclipse which was introduced post 3.6 as far as I remember. xText uses Guice for all its wiring and hence I thought this wont work.


Btw: Ed, thanks for your great work on EMF which is the foundation of so many great tools today Smile
Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277139 is a reply to message #1277132] Tue, 25 March 2014 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Messages: 13359
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

Xtexts DI has nothing todo with Eclipse 4 DI


Need professional support for Xtext, Xpand, EMF?
Go to: https://www.itemis.com/en/xtext/
Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277140 is a reply to message #1277132] Tue, 25 March 2014 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Messages: 13359
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

Xtexts DI has nothing todo with Eclipse 4 DI


Need professional support for Xtext, Xpand, EMF?
Go to: https://www.itemis.com/en/xtext/
Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277147 is a reply to message #1277139] Tue, 25 March 2014 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Schlegel is currently offline Marc SchlegelFriend
Messages: 69
Registered: July 2009
Member
Great. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277165 is a reply to message #1277147] Tue, 25 March 2014 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
Messages: 295
Registered: March 2012
Senior Member
On 25/03/2014 16:12, Marc Schlegel wrote:
> Great. Thanks for the clarification.

Make sure you are actually allowed to upgrade EMF too. I'm in a quite
similar situation where I can't go beyond EMF 2.8, and thus not able to
use the latest XText.
Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277180 is a reply to message #1277165] Tue, 25 March 2014 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Schlegel is currently offline Marc SchlegelFriend
Messages: 69
Registered: July 2009
Member
Felix Dorner wrote on Tue, 25 March 2014 11:42
On 25/03/2014 16:12, Marc Schlegel wrote:
> Great. Thanks for the clarification.

Make sure you are actually allowed to upgrade EMF too. I'm in a quite
similar situation where I can't go beyond EMF 2.8, and thus not able to
use the latest XText.

RSA ships with a lot of Modelling Tools (UML) which I bet are based on GEF and thus EMF. I will update this post about my success or failure Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 25 March 2014 16:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: xText Version running on Eclipse 3.6? [message #1277204 is a reply to message #1277180] Tue, 25 March 2014 17:04 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30900
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
EMF itself is compatible with Eclipse 3.6, but it might be the case that
there are tools (bundle) with strict ranges on EMF that exclude higher
versions of EMF even if EMF itself installs and works nicely with
Eclipse 3.6. I think UML2's extended GenModel has such strict ranges
on EMF's GenModel bundles.

On 25/03/2014 9:10 AM, Marc Schlegel wrote:
> Felix Dorner wrote on Tue, 25 March 2014 11:42
>> On 25/03/2014 16:12, Marc Schlegel wrote:
>> > Great. Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>> Make sure you are actually allowed to upgrade EMF too. I'm in a quite
>> similar situation where I can't go beyond EMF 2.8, and thus not able
>> to use the latest XText.
>
> This could really be a blocker since RSA ships with a lot of Modelling
> Tools (UML) which I bet are based on GEF and thus EMF.
>
Previous Topic:Customizing ScopeProvider for cross references using JvmReferenceType (XBase)
Next Topic:Strange behavior of XText
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Feb 24 16:06:01 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02379 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top