Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Error messages vanish due to transient active shell
Error messages vanish due to transient active shell [message #1276261] Mon, 24 March 2014 10:04
ChristianR Mising name is currently offline ChristianR Mising nameFriend
I am having trouble when displaying error messages through the StatusHandler. I have some error messages that I want to have shown (StatusManager style "SHOW"). At the time they appear there is an active shell that the Error Dialog automatically uses as parent. This active shell is disposed before the users can recognize the error dialog.

I am looking for advise on a strategy how to handle this. Here some more background information:

I am using an API that should be independent of Eclipse. This may raise some error messages that are send to a central logging facility.
I have written code to pass these errors on to the central Eclipse logging facility (i.e. StatusHandler).

In many places of the RCP application I am making calls in the API that may raise these error messages. Examples are:
- during a background process that shall block the UI with a progress dialog
- during the execution of background processes on finishing a wizard
- I think I had the same problem with code executed on the closing of preference dialogs

When the background processes finish the wizard or progress dialogs close and remove all open error dialogs (I suppose they are created with the dialog/wizard as parent shell).

I have already rewritten the code on the wizards to shift the background job outside of the wizard therefore solving the problem.

Right now I have new code where I would like to keep the UI blocked during background processing so I would like to keep the progress dialog but still see error messages.

I am bumping into this problem for quite a while now. So far I used some workarounds for it but I wonder if there isn't a more straight forward method of dealing with this once and for all. A solution that would allow the opportunity to run in a full Eclipse version later (as opposed to RCP only) would be preferred.
Previous Topic:Adding RunAs action into a plugin product
Next Topic:How to generate horizontal line at the end of folding sections?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:33:14 GMT 2024