Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51(Java Development Tools (JDT) with eclipse)
eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1275232] Sat, 22 March 2014 19:07 Go to next message
Boyd Lewis is currently offline Boyd LewisFriend
I am trying to learn Android from a book. I have Win 7 64 bit and downloaded Java from Java.com. I downloaded the Android SDK and followed their startup directions
when I try to run Eclipse, I get: Failed to load the JNI shared library " C:\~\eclipse\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll"
The file exists at the expected directory. I saw on eclipse site that it has been tested with Java Ver 7 update 2. What do I need to do? The Java.com site seems only to want to make sure you have the latest version, which it says I do.
NEED SOME HELP please.
Boyd
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1275695 is a reply to message #1275232] Sun, 23 March 2014 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
" C:\~\eclipse\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll"

this doesn't look like a good Windows path. Did you by any chance follow a tutorial for linux recommending to install everything under your home directory ("~")?

Stephan
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1275738 is a reply to message #1275695] Sun, 23 March 2014 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luuk 34 is currently offline Luuk 34Friend
On 23-3-2014 14:05, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
> Quote:
>> " C:\~\eclipse\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll"
>
> this doesn't look like a good Windows path. Did you by any chance follow
> a tutorial for linux recommending to install everything under your home
> directory ("~")?
>
> Stephan

the '~' is valid in a windows path....

C:\temp>mkdir ~

C:\temp>dir >~\list.txt

C:\temp>dir ~
Volume in drive C is MyComputer
Volume Serial Number is 1234-5678

Directory of C:\temp\~

23-03-2014 15:43 <DIR> .
23-03-2014 15:43 <DIR> ..
23-03-2014 15:43 498 list.txt
1 File(s) 498 bytes
2 Dir(s) 136.826.851.328 bytes free

C:\temp>
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1275892 is a reply to message #1275738] Sun, 23 March 2014 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please read my inquiry carefully. I'm not using Linux & don't know anything about it. The "~" is the common way of saying there is directory structure above the eclipse directory. There's a folder on the desktop which contains a folder called Eclipse. It is valid. So, how do I change the version of either Eclipse or Java so I can run the Eclipse program?
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1275950 is a reply to message #1275892] Sun, 23 March 2014 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did read your post carefully and answered the first thing that looked suspicious - not necessarily wrong.

If that's not the real cause you have to keep searching.

Basically, the error message is from Java, not from eclipse, so the next thing you might want to test is whether you can run *any* java application using that JRE.

One way of influencing how Eclipse finds Java is to insert a -vm argument into the file eclipse.ini, see http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_run_Eclipse%3F

HTH
Stephan
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1276036 is a reply to message #1275950] Mon, 24 March 2014 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan,

What I have tried:
1.) Gone to Java.com, clicked on the Do-I-have-Java? link. It came back it found it and it was up-to-date. This is where I downloaded Java from.

2.) Opened a tab, opened the Facebook program. At the bottom of the page was a box asking permission to run Java, so I allowed it. No complaints, though I didn't notice anything different in FB operation.

What Java app can I run?

I noticed on the forums that someone else is having the same problem that I have.

this is their story:
- Failed to load JNI shared library [message #1274959]

Perhaps you could look at it.

Thanks,
Boyd
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1276037 is a reply to message #1275950] Mon, 24 March 2014 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan,

What I have tried:
1.) Gone to Java.com, clicked on the Do-I-have-Java? link. It came back it found it and it was up-to-date. This is where I downloaded Java from.

2.) Opened a tab, opened the Facebook program. At the bottom of the page was a box asking permission to run Java, so I allowed it. No complaints, though I didn't notice anything different in FB operation.

What Java app can I run?

I noticed on the forums that someone else is having the same problem that I have.

this is their story:
- Failed to load JNI shared library [message #1274959]

Perhaps you could look at it.

Thanks,
Boyd
Re: eclipse doesn't run with Java 7 update51 [message #1276046 is a reply to message #1276037] Mon, 24 March 2014 02:37 Go to previous message
Boyd,

I tried to help with a quick guess, but I cannot spend more time (spare time btw) on this.
Both the post you cite and my previous answer mention editing the eclipse.ini file.
From what I read you don't seem to have tried that route, so do try it and also check the additional advice in the wiki page.

If that fails you may want to ask a friend or some one else nearby, who can look at your computer and try a few things.
It is likely to be a simple tiny typo somewhere which is hard to find remotely
(specifically when you don't paste paths verbatim as the are used on your system).

best,
Stephan

Previous Topic:How to enable null annotations on types?
Next Topic:Unhandled event loop exception on basic J2EE Kepler install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:21:04 GMT 2024