Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found(After upgrading to Kepler I get an error in each of my tag files 'The superclass "javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport" was not found on the Java Build Path')
After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1272812] Tue, 18 March 2014 20:58 Go to next message
Collin Peters is currently offline Collin PetersFriend
I just (finally) upgraded to Kepler to get some better plugin support. Our project uses very little in terms of JSP files. However, we have six JSP tag files and on each one of them I am getting the following message

The superclass "javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport" was not found on the Java Build Path

From what I can tell, this is a Java 5 or 6 class that doesn't even exist in Java 7 which is what we exclusively use. I haven't been able to turn up anything on this error. It doesn't seem to have a negative affect but it really sucks to have these 6 files show as containing errors

Any advice on how to get rid of these? Here is what I have at the top of one of the files
<%@ tag language="java" pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>

<%@ tag import="java.util.ResourceBundle"%>
<%@ tag import="java.util.Locale"%>
<%@ tag import="intouch.utils.I18NUtils"%>

<%@ attribute name="component" required="true" %>
Re: After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1273076 is a reply to message #1272812] Wed, 19 March 2014 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Moving this to the Web Tools forum.
Re: After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1273131 is a reply to message #1272812] Wed, 19 March 2014 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

API classes don't tend to just disappear, and it's still present in the Java EE 7 Javadoc (http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/SimpleTagSupport.html). My guess is that for some other reason, it really *isn't* on your Java Build Path any more. Are you able to Open that Type? Is it part of a jar/library that you expected?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1273261 is a reply to message #1273131] Wed, 19 March 2014 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't find it in Open Type (ctrl-shift-t) in Kepler, but it also doesn't show up in Juno either.

I've never even heard of this class before so I would say I am not expecting it. I do have these 6 tag files and perhaps they are implicitly using this class behind the scenes, but how would I even find that out?
Re: After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1273783 is a reply to message #1273261] Thu, 20 March 2014 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
On 3/19/2014 4:05 PM, Collin Peters wrote:
> Can't find it in Open Type (ctrl-shift-t) in Kepler, but it also doesn't
> show up in Juno either.
>
> I've never even heard of this class before so I would say I am not
> expecting it. I do have these 6 tag files and perhaps they are
> implicitly using this class behind the scenes, but how would I even find
> that out?

Assuming this is a dynamic web project, the class in question would be
coming from the jsp-api.jar that is part of the target runtime
associated with the project. You can identify the target runtime for a
dynamic web project by opening the project's Properties dialog,
selecting "Project Facets" and selecting the "Runtimes" tab. The one(s)
checked will be contributing their set of runtime jars to the build path
of the project.

It's unclear why upgrading to Kepler would impact this. It might be
possible that the "problem" existed before upgrading, but due to some
quirk, didn't make itself known. Upgrading to Kepler may have
"refreshed" something and now the problem shows itself.

Cheers,
Larry
Re: After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1277972 is a reply to message #1273783] Wed, 26 March 2014 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Larry! That seems to have done it. In Kepler there was nothing checked, I checked my Tomcat 7 runtime and the errors have disappeared. Juno also has nothing checked but I suspect you are right about something getting refreshed.

Thanks again!!
Re: After Kepler Upgrade: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTagSupport not found [message #1281223 is a reply to message #1277972] Mon, 31 March 2014 14:50 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It's an intentional addition in Kepler that checks the project and makes sure the superclass of your JSP or tag file is actually there.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:stop/start a server in WTP programmatically
Next Topic:SourceViewer with StructuredTextViewerConfigurationXSL not editable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:30:15 GMT 2024