Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EMF-IncQuery » Inherited derived references
Inherited derived references [message #1272308] Mon, 17 March 2014 15:53 Go to next message
Emre T is currently offline Emre TFriend
Hello again, I wanted to open a new thread regarding the subject, even though we have actually discussed some relevant things on an another thread [*]. But I believe the following issue deserves its own one. I will try to explain the situation as informative as possible. There are two uploaded simple model parts related to the query definition.

index.php/fa/17756/0/

For the first upload as above (the old derived model), my pattern definition was working correctly and without any warnings, except some performance issues. The pattern definition was something like the following:

@QueryBasedFeature(feature = "derivedReference")
pattern derivedPattern(This: Sub, Target: Target) {
// Get the ID from Super1 and compare it to some features of Target,
// if true set the derived reference to Target
}

But since the model had to be changed for separation reasons, I added a second super class, which the first Sub class inherits beside the Super1. So the new model looks like this:

index.php/fa/17757/0/

As you can see, the derived reference is now between the Super2 and Target, not with Sub, which has the ID feature from Super1. First I thought that this shouldn't be so hard to implement, since the Sub is also a Super2 and therefore has the same derived reference and the getDerivedReference() method which should be implemented. First I have implemented the following query.

//Warning: Inconsistent parameter type definition, should be ClassReferencingDecision based on the pattern definition
private pattern getSub(super2: Super2) {
Sub(super2) 
}

pattern derivedPattern(This: Super2, Target: Target) {
find getSub(This);
}

But it failed and I think because it is not possible to traverse inheritance from super to sub class. On the derived pattern, there were one warning "Inconsistent parameter type definition, should be Sub based on the pattern definition" on the pattern declaration and followed by the error "Cannot find feature derivedReference of EClass Sub." on the @QueryBasedFeature annotation. I think that this has something to do with the private pattern getSub(Super2), because the moment I comment it out, both warning and error are gone. As expected an error saying that the parameter "This" isn't used in the pattern body surfaces. But the derived reference "derivedReference" between Super2 and Target can be found again.

Then instead of using the above helper query, I defined the Sub as the first parameter of the pattern definition, since it has already inherited the derived reference from Super2:

pattern derivedPattern(This: Sub, Target: Target) {
}

But again, the derived reference couldn't be found between the Sub and Target with the following error "Cannot find feature derivedReference of EClass Sub.". Even though the feature is inherited from the Super2.

What comes to mind is that the derived features can only be implemented in case if they are only and only the main feature of the super class and not inherited by the sub classes. Or am I missing something?

I am kind of stuck with this issue, which is a very important step for my project, since the first model and relating queries were working correctly with all the desired functions including OCL checks etc.

I would be very glad if you could help me with the issues. Thanks a lot and sorry for the long thread.

Best regards,
Emre

[*] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/672451/

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2014 16:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Inherited derived references [message #1272316 is a reply to message #1272308] Mon, 17 March 2014 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel Hegedus is currently offline Abel HegedusFriend
Hi Emre,

the generator of the @QueryBasedFeature always searches for the feature in the EClass determined by the source parameter. In your case, since the feature is in Super2, the pattern header must look like this:

pattern myPattern(src : Super2, trg : Target){
  // query constraints
}

Then, for Sub typed objects, you want to use the ID feature in Super1, therefore the internal should look like this:

Sub.ID(src, id);
  Target.srcID(trg, id); // assuming the same ID is stored in some attribute
}

This will most definitely give you a warning for "Ambigious type [Sub, Super2], Super2 is used", but otherwise should work correctly and generate the code without issues. If this is not the case, then it is probably a bug in the type inference (we know of some strange corner cases already, see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=428018, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=419114 and https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=410823)
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1272322 is a reply to message #1272316] Mon, 17 March 2014 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Abel,

does it have to be the EClass as the source parameter that is defining the derived feature? Or can I use another EClass as the source parameter, which is not defining but inheriting the derived reference? Though in this case the UnsupportedOperationException will still be thrown since the getters of the super class wouldn't have been implemented. (E.g. if one validates the model instance.)

And a similar pattern definition doing exactly the same thing still delivers the warning "Inconsistent parameter type definition, should be Sub based on the pattern definition" for the pattern header and the error "Cannot find feature referenceClass of EClass Sub." in my pattern definition.

If this is indeed a bug, are there any workarounds?

And I can be at least sure of that this approach isn't faulty and possible after all?
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1272327 is a reply to message #1272322] Mon, 17 March 2014 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. The type of the source parameter has to be the exact EClass defining the feature. This may look like an unnecessary restriction from the development point of view, but since all the sources of such derived feature settings _must be_ of that type, this does not restrict the expression power of derived features.

2. If you get "Cannot find feature referenceClass of EClass Sub." that means the inferred type of the parameter is Sub, even though you specifically added Super2 to the pattern header.

Can you tell us the exact version of EMF-IncQuery and Xtext that you use (by copy-pasting the feature id, like 0.x.x.201YMMDDhhmmss)? (sorry if you already gave it earlier)

The approach is not faulty and what you are trying to do is possible. We have metamodels with complex type hierarchies and similarly constructed derived features.
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1272672 is a reply to message #1272327] Tue, 18 March 2014 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, that is great to hear that this approach is possible. I am unfortunately out of the office today, but will tell you the exact versions of IncQuery and Xtext tomorrow. Hope we can discuss this further and find a solution. Thanks again!
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1273096 is a reply to message #1272672] Wed, 19 March 2014 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again Abel,

here are the version numbers of EMF-IncQuery and Xtext you have asked for:

EMF-IncQuery SDK (Incubation) 0.8.0.201402182203 org.eclipse.incquery.sdk.feature.source.feature.group Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Fault Tolerant Systems Research Group

Xtext SDK 2.5.2.v201402120812 org.eclipse.xtext.sdk.feature.group Eclipse Modeling Project

Hope these can help further.

Also to your second comment: The first parameter of the query pattern must be the model element which defines the derived reference. I understand this very well, since it must be all of the getters (or in this case the getter which is the highest one in the inheritance hierarchy, so the elements which are inheriting the reference from it also can make use of it and eventually UnsupportedOperationException can be avoided globally). But as you are saying that this approach is indeed possible, it also allowed to use subtypes in this scenario. Hope I am getting it right.

Would be very glad if you could tell what might be wrong with my model or patterns and help me further to solve this issue. Again thanks a lot!

Emre
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1277764 is a reply to message #1273096] Wed, 26 March 2014 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again,

was wondering, whether you might have any further ideas regarding this issue?

It is not a must, since I am using a workaround, but it would be indeed a better approach to design my models as described.

Again thanks a lot and best regards!

Emre
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1278027 is a reply to message #1277764] Wed, 26 March 2014 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I had not yet time to recreate the setup and example that you used to reproduce your issue.

However, if the problem exists without query-based feature annotations, then it is a bug and you should open a bugzilla issue about it.

So, please try the following pattern:
  Sub.ID(src, id);
  Target.srcID(trg, id); // assuming the same ID is stored in some attribute
}

1. Do not change the pattern header, especially the "src : Super2" part.
2. List the errors/warnings on the pattern.
3. If MyPatternMatch class was generated, tell me what the type of pSrc field is.

By design, the type should be Super2 and that would be the class where the QueryBasedFeature generator would search for the feature. However, the error message you gave before looks like it gets Sub as the type. Which is a bug _IF_ your pattern header is "src : Super2".
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1283544 is a reply to message #1278027] Thu, 03 April 2014 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Abel,

sorry too, that I wasn't able to try your workaround sooner. But now I had the chance to try it out. The result is as follows.

For the 1. question, as you pointed out, I especially let the the pattern definition be as for the second case and with the parameter "src: Super2":

pattern myPattern(src: Super2, trg: Target) {
    find getSubOverSuper2(src);
    find getIDForSubSub(src, ID);
    ... // some further patterns to get the corresponding future from the target
    check ( // whether two ids are the same );
    Target.someReference.someFeature(trg, ID); // Dont mind this part, just tried to simplify it a litte
}

As you can see there are two distinct patterns, but their function is no more than what you expect to do. They look like this:

// Already here I get the warning of inconsistency
// [i]Inconsistent parameter type definition, should be Sub based on the pattern definition[/i]
private pattern getSubOverSuper2(Super2: Super2) {
    Sub(Super2);
}

private pattern getIDForSubSub(Sub: Sub, ID: EString) {
    SubSub.ID(Sub, ID);
    check ( // some further constraints on ID);
}

For the second question, when I removed the @QuertyBasedFeature annotation, the error about not being able to find the derived reference was gone. The only two remaining warnings on the main pattern were as follows:

[i]Multiple markers at this line
- Inconsistent parameter type definition, should be Sub
based on the pattern definition
- The pattern body contains constraints which are only loosely
connected. This may negatively impact performance. The weakly
dependent partitions are: [ID This ][X Y Z T K ][/i]

The second one can be neglected for the being, since the performance is not a priority for me. But the first warning does still interest me.

To your last question, yes, the MyPatternClass was generated in the main package of src-gen, with all the other private helper patterns generated in the util-package. In this class there is the field "fSrc" and the parameter "pSrc" in the class constructor and both are the type of the Sub.

So then, this is a bug, right? I can definitely live with my first approach, where there is only on Super class, but still the second approach -as sad- would be the more preferable option. Is there anything I can do? Delivering more information if you need or opening a bug?

Thanks again for the help!

Best regards,
Emre
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1283548 is a reply to message #1283544] Thu, 03 April 2014 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, please file a bugzilla issue with a short description and a point to your last reply.

This is a problem in our type inferrer, which affects the core code generator as well.
Re: Inherited derived references [message #1283552 is a reply to message #1283548] Thu, 03 April 2014 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can also add yourself to CC on these issues:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=428018
and https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=412972

[Updated on: Thu, 03 April 2014 14:54] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Inherited derived references [message #1284360 is a reply to message #1283552] Fri, 04 April 2014 11:34 Go to previous message
Hello Abel, thanks a lot again for the replies. I have opened an issue referencing our conversation here in the Bugzilla.
Previous Topic:A pattern definition regarding Inheritance
Next Topic:A logger directly in *.eiq possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:32:33 GMT 2024