Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » eclipse.ini memory settings for large papyrus projects
eclipse.ini memory settings for large papyrus projects [message #1269840] Wed, 12 March 2014 08:44 Go to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
I've had a couple of memory related issues in Papyrus 0.10.2 using the default memory settings in the eclipse.ini file. I missed to increase the settings when I downloaded the fresh eclipse SR2.

Once Papyrus crashed hard and destroyed the model (don't remember if it was maxperm or heapspace), and search crashed with out of heap error.

So dear experts and other users, how are your memory setup?

Is there a point in increasing permgen space for large projects, or is that space more related to Papyrus itself? I found a comment in an old but stating that 256M was enought to run Papyrus.

Is there a point to increase the min heap space? Again I found some tidbits hinting that it would increase performance.

What would a proper, good enough setting of max heap space be, especially to make searches to work properly? Perhaps any number would to, but how does that affect memory allocated to other programs? Will the JVM "eat" that memory so that I might get performance issues due to swapping when I switch to another opened program?

Regards,
Tomas Sandkvist
Re: eclipse.ini memory settings for large papyrus projects [message #1269853 is a reply to message #1269840] Wed, 12 March 2014 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Tomas,

It's difficult to say, especially since Papyrus still has a few memory leaks (Which are especially annoying when you open/close/open/close a lot of models; they shouldn't be a problem when you always work on the same editors).

Papyrus developers *need* to increase their PermGen Space to 350 or more, because debug mode requires more PermGen space. However, for standard usage of Papyrus, 256 MB is sufficient for PermGen (But as Papyrus grows continuously, this might not be sufficient in the future).

We don't have any memory usage benchmark, so we can't recommend any memory setup. I typically use 1024 MB of heap space and 256 MB of PermGen. And from the Heap Status in Eclipse, I can see that Eclipse/Papyrus is using between 200 and 800 MB (800 during some specific operations on relatively big models, then back to 300-350 MB when the GC runs. And 200 MB for really simple models when you're not doing anything). It's always a good idea to allocate a little bit more memory than actually required.

Also, what really requires memory is the number of opened editors/nested editors ("Tabs" in a Papyrus editor). Closing them may help, until we provide a lazy editor loading (And unload editors which are not used anymore)

You can monitor the memory usage from the Eclipse Preferences: General > check Show heap status.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: eclipse.ini memory settings for large papyrus projects [message #1269861 is a reply to message #1269840] Wed, 12 March 2014 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Furkan Eke is currently offline Furkan EkeFriend
Hello,

this problem we had as well. Increasing the memory allocation to Eclipse can help you, but beware of interent restrictions in your system. If you are using a 32bit
system, maximum memory you can give Eclipse is restricted. If this is the case, you might think first of migrating to a 64bit system.

If you are using a 64bit system already and have the issues even after increasing the memory for Eclipse, then you need something like CDO. I can not comment on this, because my knowledge is restricted to the problem description CDO intents to solve.

CDO should have worked for papyrus as several other features had to, but they dont and there is no help, no documentation.

I wish you good luck, if you can manage to use CDO for Papyrus to improve performance please share this, i need it as well.

Kind Regards,
Furkan
Re: eclipse.ini memory settings for large papyrus projects [message #1269901 is a reply to message #1269861] Wed, 12 March 2014 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
Hi Furkan!

Well, I currently depend heavily on submodels, which has some usage issues (for instance, if I migrate them into the main model, I can't migrate submodels that in turn is referenced in other submodels without breaking the references), but it does work.

CDO, what kind of benefit would that give? A more "dynamic" model handling in terms of loading?

I am using a repository (Git, at first I tried subversion but had some major issues with destruction of models), but the memory load comes mainly from how "much" of the model is loaded I guess.

A second issue is that where I am working (ABB) we're simply not allowed setting up servers, heck we're not even allowed to install what ever software we want/need on our computers, so I'm pretty restricted. The Eclipse environment, being a Java app is excellent because it does not need any installation, thus the IT department has nothing to worry about...

With that said, I don't know so much yet about CDO, I skipped CDO because I got the impression I needed some major server stuff tom use it. I will read up though...

Regards,
Tomas
Re: eclipse.ini memory settings for large papyrus projects [message #1269934 is a reply to message #1269901] Wed, 12 March 2014 10:25 Go to previous message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Tomas,

I think that CDO will not help you much for performances, because in Papyrus, queries are implemented in Java anyway (And don't benefit from the Database index/etc). Moreover, once a resource is loaded in Papyrus, it is never unloaded. So, no gain in memory either.

Regarding the server installation, CDO can use file-based databases (i.e. a file in your workspace). You don't necessarily need any specific installation.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Previous Topic:Hyperlinks for Diagram Elements
Next Topic:SignalEvent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:45:13 GMT 2024