Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Trying to work on multiple projects(I have eclipse on two separate computers. I can't get my projects to just one computer.)
icon8.gif  Trying to work on multiple projects [message #1266762] Fri, 07 March 2014 23:27 Go to next message
Noob Dev is currently offline Noob DevFriend
I have Eclipse and ADT on two separate computers. I have a workspace designated for each. I, "El Nooberino" as I'll refer to myself, tried to copy and paste the project from one workspace to the other thinking that would work, cause that's how life works, Right??? Long story short. Is there a process to transfer projects that doesn't involve copy and pasting? If not how do I close one project to work on another in one Eclipse?

If this is posted in another thread I apologize, it didn't show up in my searches. A redirection would be acceptable.
Re: Trying to work on multiple projects [message #1267849 is a reply to message #1266762] Sun, 09 March 2014 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

There are a number of pitfalls that can happen when just copying a project from one machine to another, but it helps to go into more detail about how it's not working, otherwise you're only going to get random guesses.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Trying to work on multiple projects [message #1268740 is a reply to message #1267849] Mon, 10 March 2014 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noob Dev is currently offline Noob DevFriend
Fair enough. After I've copied and pasted the project folder under "workspace", I go to 'Open project' only to see only the original project I started in that version of Eclipse. The pasted project doesn't show up. I browsed to the appropriate file folder only to see the .java class files I created for the pasted project.

I'm beginning to think that copying the actual code I wrote in each file and pasting it into a "new project" in the version of eclipse I want to work in, is looking to be the simplest solution. Oh the wasted time....
Re: Trying to work on multiple projects [message #1268817 is a reply to message #1268740] Tue, 11 March 2014 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 03/10/2014 05:30 PM, Noob Dev wrote:
> Fair enough. After I've copied and pasted the project folder under
> "workspace", I go to 'Open project' only to see only the original
> project I started in that version of Eclipse. The pasted project
> doesn't show up. I browsed to the appropriate file folder only to see
> the .java class files I created for the pasted project.
> I'm beginning to think that copying the actual code I wrote in each file
> and pasting it into a "new project" in the version of eclipse I want to
> work in, is looking to be the simplest solution. Oh the wasted time....

I'm coming in late to this party, but I believe what you want to do is
import the project into the workspace. Dropping it into the workspace
filesystem isn't sufficient.

File -> Import... -> General -> Import Projects into Workspace

Hope this gets you up and going.
Re: Trying to work on multiple projects [message #1273178 is a reply to message #1266762] Wed, 19 March 2014 17:17 Go to previous message
Sergio Félix is currently offline Sergio FélixFriend
Perhaps using a version control tool will help you have both computers on sync.
Previous Topic:Java Reflection problem in Eclipse?
Next Topic:Clean & Build in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:37:39 GMT 2024