Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF Diff/Merge » Questions about future versions
Questions about future versions [message #1262456] Mon, 03 March 2014 16:57 Go to next message
Stephane Bouchet is currently offline Stephane BouchetFriend
HI,

i am using diffmerge with success since some month for our semantic models.
We are using GMF and want to use diffmerge on them.

Is the default GUI shown on the wiki can be extended to "group" differences ( we are thinking about grouping semantic and graphic differences in a common item in the tree)?
Do you plan to support diff/merge directly on graphical editors (like emf compare)?

Also, i can't find any pointers about comparing models with remote versions. is this supported ?

Thanks,

Re: Questions about future versions [message #1263638 is a reply to message #1262456] Tue, 04 March 2014 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olivier Constant is currently offline Olivier ConstantFriend
Hi Stéphane,

Quote:
i am using diffmerge with success since some month for our semantic models.

Nice. Smile

Quote:
Is the default GUI shown on the wiki can be extended to "group" differences ( we are thinking about grouping semantic and graphic differences in a common item in the tree)?

Not with the 0.2.0 release, but the upcoming 0.3.0 release will make it possible to customize the default GUI to a great degree. The creation of the main viewer will be delegated to the comparison method (IComparisonMethod), which is the entry point for customizations at GUI level. It means that the writer of a diff/merge customization will be able to obtain the default GUI and customize it as he wants: GUI extensions, addition of filters, change of content/label provider... He may even replace it completely, provided that the substitute inherits from predefined abstract class AbstractComparisonViewer.
This ability is already provided in recent builds.

Quote:
Do you plan to support diff/merge directly on graphical editors (like emf compare)?

We do not plan to integrate diagram visualization in the default comparison GUI. The main goal of EMF Diff/Merge is about providing the ability to manipulate models by merge in a wide range of application contexts, more than having an integrated GUI like the one of EMF Compare.
We are currently working, however, on improving the integration of the default GUI with graphical modeling environments thanks to the addition of simple facilities like navigation and highlighting. The results of this work will be integrated into the 0.3.0 release.

Quote:
Also, i can't find any pointers about comparing models with remote versions. is this supported ?

If I understand your question correctly than no, we have not worked on an integration of the default GUI with Team facilities.

Olivier
Re: Questions about future versions [message #1263657 is a reply to message #1263638] Tue, 04 March 2014 17:12 Go to previous message
Stephane Bouchet is currently offline Stephane BouchetFriend
Quote:
Quote:

Not with the 0.2.0 release, but the upcoming 0.3.0 release will make it possible to customize the default GUI to a great degree. The creation of the main viewer will be delegated to the comparison method (IComparisonMethod), which is the entry point for customizations at GUI level. It means that the writer of a diff/merge customization will be able to obtain the default GUI and customize it as he wants: GUI extensions, addition of filters, change of content/label provider... He may even replace it completely, provided that the substitute inherits from predefined abstract class AbstractComparisonViewer.
This ability is already provided in recent builds.

We already extends the matching strategy, so the customization of the GUI you propose sound good.

Quote:
Quote:

We do not plan to integrate diagram visualization in the default comparison GUI. The main goal of EMF Diff/Merge is about providing the ability to manipulate models by merge in a wide range of application contexts, more than having an integrated GUI like the one of EMF Compare.
We are currently working, however, on improving the integration of the default GUI with graphical modeling environments thanks to the addition of simple facilities like navigation and highlighting. The results of this work will be integrated into the 0.3.0 release.

Nice! i'll try your nightlies to get these updates.

Quote:
Quote:

If I understand your question correctly than no, we have not worked on an integration of the default GUI with Team facilities.

ok. Thanks !
Previous Topic:Available Update Site
Next Topic:Option 'each other as models' doesn't show
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:17:53 GMT 2024