Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Dropins & feature
Dropins & feature [message #1245931] Fri, 14 February 2014 13:31 Go to next message
seb f is currently offline seb fFriend
Hello,

I activated the p2 dropins folder in an Equinox-based application.
My questions and issues relates to the way the features and plug-ins are taken into account in this dropins context.

The Eclipse product is based on features (as opposed to be based on plug-ins) and in this context I would expect the dropins to load features.
For instance if I add to the dropins directory the following artifacts:
- One feature F1 based on one plugins P1
- Two plugins P1, P2,
I would expect only P1 to be loaded (and not P2 since P2 is not referenced by
Is there a way to achieve that ?

More specifically, if:
- The core (the parts outside the dropins) has a feature F in version 1.0.0 referencing a plugin P in version 1.0.0
- The dropins has a feature F1 referencing the plug-in P1,
- The feature F1 has a dependency on the feature F in version 2.0.0 (strict)
Is there a way to prevent P1 from being loaded (because the dependency is not fulfilled) ?

From what I understood from the different experiments I made, the ways to cope with this situation is :
- Either to move the dependency to the plug-in level - making P1 dependant on P2 2.0.0
- Or use p2 director or the p2 api to install the feature (instead of using the dropins capabilities).
Are these assumptions correct or am I missing something ?

Thanks
--
sf
Re: Dropins & feature [message #1248218 is a reply to message #1245931] Mon, 17 February 2014 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
Your assumptions are correct.

The drop-ins is a best effort at installing. As such it will install as many things as possible, wherever they are from (features or plugins).

As for the director, you need to be careful because if you have F1 depending on F, and both F1 and F have been installed as a root (which means explicitly installed), then uninstall F will not actually remove it. What I'm trying to say here is the removal done by the director is a soft one and that as long as there is a dependency on an IU, the IU will stay around.

HTH
Re: Dropins & feature [message #1249723 is a reply to message #1248218] Tue, 18 February 2014 15:00 Go to previous message
seb f is currently offline seb fFriend
Hello Pascal,
Thanks a lot for this helpful information.
--
sebastien
Previous Topic:where can I find and download the org\eclipse\osgi\framework\internal\core\BundleHost.java
Next Topic:Updating the org.eclipse.osgi bundle only
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:27:07 GMT 2024