Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » NPE at 99% validation in Kepler Static Web Project
NPE at 99% validation in Kepler Static Web Project [message #1242675] Mon, 10 February 2014 00:25 Go to next message
Chris Gage is currently offline Chris GageFriend
I am trying to rehabilitate a large static web site that has gone largely unattended for over 10 years, and hopefully migrate it to HTML5 . Most of its current HTML is at 3.2 (pre-1997) level and in many cases it even egregiously violates 3.2. There are over 9,000 HTML pages and over 50,000 images, 75 gigabytes on disk.

An internal error occurred during: "Validating Renaissance".
java.lang.NullPointerException

Eclipse Kepler gives me an NPE at 99% complete on the validation at startup, so I get no errors, warnings etc., and thus am more or less unable to correct anything. It did complete once last week and I was able to fix the over 1,000 actual errors (red) but over half a million warnings (yellow) remain, and at that point the only thing I can do it delete the project and start again. Now I am failing to get past this point every time. I am using -vmargs -Xmx4096M but I am beginning to think I am asking too much.

What can I do to reduce the scale of the task I am asking Eclipse WTP to perform?

Will removing all the 50,000 image files make any difference?

I already removed an "image library" section that has 464 html files and 62,000 images.

Chris Gage

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2014 00:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NPE at 99% validation in Kepler Static Web Project [message #1243180 is a reply to message #1242675] Mon, 10 February 2014 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

A stack trace for the NPE would be helpful. Does it appear in the log?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/IRC_FAQ/#Where_are_Eclipse.27s_log_files_located.3F

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: NPE at 99% validation in Kepler Static Web Project [message #1243962 is a reply to message #1243180] Tue, 11 February 2014 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are hundreds of them. about 50 per minute.

I think by a quick inspection they are all more or less the same

at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.DependencyIndex.getSet(DependencyIndex.java:102)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.DependencyIndex.set(DependencyIndex.java:223)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.Validator$V2.validate(Validator.java:1178)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValManager.validate(ValManager.java:704)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValManager$1.visit(ValManager.java:665)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValManager.accept(ValManager.java:810)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValManager.validate(ValManager.java:669)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob$Visitor.visit(ValBuilderJob.java:299)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource$2.visit(Resource.java:126)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource$1.visitElement(Resource.java:85)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.watson.ElementTreeIterator.doIteration(ElementTreeIterator.java:82)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.watson.ElementTreeIterator.doIteration(ElementTreeIterator.java:86)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.watson.ElementTreeIterator.doIteration(ElementTreeIterator.java:86)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.watson.ElementTreeIterator.iterate(ElementTreeIterator.java:127)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.accept(Resource.java:95)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.accept(Resource.java:52)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.accept(Resource.java:124)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.accept(Resource.java:108)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob.fullBuild(ValBuilderJob.java:219)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob.run(ValBuilderJob.java:178)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob.runInWorkspace(ValBuilderJob.java:126)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
Re: NPE at 99% validation in Kepler Static Web Project [message #1243967 is a reply to message #1243962] Tue, 11 February 2014 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The NPE I referred to in the initial post is not the above. The above is the NPE that occurs immediately if I attempt a project->clean after the NPE I described. In order to get the exact same situation with the NPE at 99% I'll have to delete and recreate the project, I'll get to that later today.
Re: NPE at 99% validation in Kepler Static Web Project [message #1244056 is a reply to message #1243180] Tue, 11 February 2014 21:14 Go to previous message
So I recreated the project (it is an project not in the workspace, by the way) and get this at 99% validated, as before, which isn't the same but may or may not be related:

at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.DependencyIndex.isDependedOn(DependencyIndex.java:234)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob$Visitor.visit(ValBuilderJob.java:343)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.ResourceDelta.accept(ResourceDelta.java:69)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.ResourceDelta.accept(ResourceDelta.java:80)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.ResourceDelta.accept(ResourceDelta.java:49)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob.deltaBuild(ValBuilderJob.java:211)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob.run(ValBuilderJob.java:179)
at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.ValBuilderJob.runInWorkspace(ValBuilderJob.java:126)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2014 21:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:WTP Incubation project status
Next Topic:Problem with mex-1.5.mar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:58:03 GMT 2024