Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Using the client locale in a server service
Using the client locale in a server service [message #1236833] Tue, 28 January 2014 07:14 Go to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Some of our databases contain NLS data (i.e. a column for each language) and we want to return the correct text in our LookupServices for those tables.

Is there a mechanism provided by scout to find the locale of the client currently using a server service?

If not, what is the recommended way to pass this information from client to server? I'd prefer a solution that passes this information from client to server once at client startup over a solution that forces me to pass this information on each call to the service.
Re: Using the client locale in a server service [message #1236847 is a reply to message #1236833] Tue, 28 January 2014 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
From what I know/remember, scout does it for you. I think it works with Locale of the thread.

If you use TEXTS.getText(...) in the server scout will set the appropriate language (depending on the locale of the client). [you can confirm this very easily].
If you need to do it by yourself, I imagine you can have a look at how the Text service is solving it.
Re: Using the client locale in a server service [message #1236910 is a reply to message #1236847] Tue, 28 January 2014 11:13 Go to previous message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Thanks for your answer, Jérémie.

I've had the same idea and traced the TEXTS.get(key) call as far as DynamicNls.getTextInternal() where there is the following line:

if (locale==null) {
locale = getDefaultLocale();
}

which in turn calls NlsUtility.getDefaultLocale();

So in my code I use
Locale locale = NlsUtility.getDefaultLocale();
and then switch on the language.

It's quite embarrassing, but it was a simple bug (comparing a locale against a string) which caused my code to always use the default case Wink Now that I'm comparing the correct fields everything works fine!

Previous Topic:SWT not recognizing changes in focused FormField
Next Topic:No login dialog with BasicSecurityFilter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:44:17 GMT 2024