Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Open files in detached editors
Open files in detached editors [message #1236675] Mon, 27 January 2014 20:42 Go to next message
Jonas Lippuner is currently offline Jonas LippunerFriend
I have recently found out that I can detach an editor from the main window and have it as a free floating window. This is very useful, but I am having a few issues with using this effectively.

1) If I have a file opened in a detached editor and I hit Ctrl+Tab to switch between the header and source file (I'm doing C++ development), then the header or source file is opened in the main editor instead of the current active detached editor. How can I get this file to be opened in the current detached editor?

2) When I open an file from the Project Explorer it is opened in the main editor window instead of the active (focused) detached editor window. How can I open files from the Project Explorer either in an existing detached editor window or directly in a new detached editor?

Thanks for the help,
Jonas
Re: Open files in detached editors [message #1239644 is a reply to message #1236675] Tue, 04 February 2014 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Lippuner is currently offline Jonas LippunerFriend
*Bumb* Anybody?
Re: Open files in detached editors [message #1273800 is a reply to message #1236675] Thu, 20 March 2014 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grzegorz Poznachowski is currently offline Grzegorz PoznachowskiFriend
+1
I'm also interested in that feature. Is that possible to achieve? Otherwise, I don't feel like having detached editor window useful.

Regards,
Greg
Re: Open files in detached editors [message #1816449 is a reply to message #1273800] Tue, 29 October 2019 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron Gage is currently offline Aaron GageFriend
Bump! Would love to find out how to direct a file to open in a specific detached window.
Re: Open files in detached editors [message #1816481 is a reply to message #1816449] Wed, 30 October 2019 03:07 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't think there is a way. It doesn't appear one can even drag an editor from the main area to the floating editor window, though you can drag a tab from one floating editor window to another. You'd think that at least Ctrl-Shift-T would open the editor in the window that has focus, but that's not the case either.

I'm not sure there is any existing Bugzilla enhancement request for this...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse Startup Exception (PartInitException)
Next Topic:The package xxx is not accessible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:02:33 GMT 2024