Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » repository stuck in Rebase w/merge(cannot complete or undo the rebase)
repository stuck in Rebase w/merge [message #1232789] Fri, 17 January 2014 18:47 Go to next message
E B is currently offline E BFriend
I started a rebase-on-top-of operation in eGit. Something went wrong - no idea why; a message popped up telling me: 'Wrong Repository State: REBASING_MERGE'

Now whatever I try to do - aborting or completing the rebase, or trying to check out another branch - I keep getting this message, and nothing else happens. I tried google, but was unable to find anything relevant to this situation.

I hope someone can tell me how to get my repository unstuck!
Re: repository stuck in Rebase w/merge [message #1233338 is a reply to message #1232789] Sun, 19 January 2014 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
E B skrev 2014-01-17 21.37:
> I started a rebase-on-top-of operation in eGit. Something went wrong - no idea why; a message popped up telling me: 'Wrong Repository State: REBASING_MERGE'
>
> Now whatever I try to do - aborting or completing the rebase, or trying to check out another branch - I keep getting this message, and nothing else happens. I tried google,
> but was unable to find anything relevant to this situation.
>
> I hope someone can tell me how to get my repository unstuck!

Using the latest nightly build may help. See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=425742

-- robin
Re: repository stuck in Rebase w/merge [message #1233371 is a reply to message #1233338] Sun, 19 January 2014 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestion.

For now I have made a full restore from my backup, and redid the work that was lost, to get me unstuck.

The problem has not yet returned, but I intend to make an extra backup before performing a rebase in the future.
Re: repository stuck in Rebase w/merge [message #1233659 is a reply to message #1233371] Mon, 20 January 2014 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
- Which egit version are you using ?
- Did you use rebase.autostash = true before ?
- Did you try to abort rebase ?
- Does your .git folder contain a directory "rebase-merge" ?
Re: repository stuck in Rebase w/merge [message #1234385 is a reply to message #1233659] Tue, 21 January 2014 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn wrote on Mon, 20 January 2014 03:03
- Which egit version are you using ?

I am using Eclipse Indigo SR2, the egit version nr that I can find is 1.3.0.201202151440-r

Quote:
- Did you use rebase.autostash = true before ?

I have no idea what 'rebase.autostash = true' means, and I wouldn't know if I used it

Quote:
- Did you try to abort rebase ?

Yes, I kept getting the same error popping up

Quote:
- Does your .git folder contain a directory "rebase-merge" ?

Yes, I kept a copy of the stuck repository - there is an (empty) 'rebase-merge' folder in there
Re: repository stuck in Rebase w/merge [message #1236599 is a reply to message #1234385] Mon, 27 January 2014 16:35 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
1.3 is pretty old, the latest release is 3.2 so I'd recommend to upgrade.
Or do you have to stick to Indigo ?

1.3 doesn't support autostash so this is irrelevant here.

If you are sure you are not in the middle of a rebase operation it should be safe to delete the empty rebase-merge folder.
Previous Topic:Problems changing the committer ID
Next Topic:Cleaning up locks on application startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:52:28 GMT 2024