Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » Editor not in dirty state after remote save failed(Editor is not turned to dirty state when saving to the remote system fails. )
Editor not in dirty state after remote save failed [message #1231346] Tue, 14 January 2014 12:20
Manfred Stadel is currently offline Manfred StadelFriend
Hi everybody,

I just created an Eclipse Login account, and this is the first time I'm posting to this Forum.

We have been using RSE for more than half a year, and we like it very much. It is a very useful extension to the Eclipse platform.

We think in the following situation RSE's behavior could cause some confusion.

If uploading to the remote system fails when attempting to save an edited remote file, the editor's contents are only saved to the local cache and the editor is no longer in dirty state, although editor's contents and the remote file's contents are out of sync. One common reason causing upload to fail is lost connection. After connection has been resumed I need to do an artificial modification to bring the editor back to dirty state and to be able to attempt saving it again.

I'm using Eclipse Kepler Service Release 1 on Windows, RSE release 2.1.500, and FTP Only connection to a Linux system. Lost connection is recognized by ftp (after some time-out ftp throws an exception). Then a message "Operation failed due to network I/O error 'java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error'" is displayed, but the editor still remains in non-dirty state.

Would it be possible to turn the editor back to dirty state (and possibly clean the cache which is out-of-sync) when catching an ftp exception?
At least, this is done when you manually disconnect (and clear the password store) before saving and cancel the then opened password prompt dialog.
What do you think?

Similar issues have been posted to Bugzilla:
id=243629 with focus on the message being displayed
id=221246 with focus on changed password causing upload to fail
id=191284 with focus on read-only files
id=256048 with focus on offline working

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open and edit a remote file
2) plug-off the network cable (and/or switch off WiFi). Note, just disconnecting in RSE would not reproduce the problem.
3) Attempt to save the editor
Previous Topic:Converting all TM "Require Bundle" includes to "Import Package" for UI pieces
Next Topic:Change mouse pointer when attempting to drop into a read-only folder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:41:23 GMT 2024