Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Can't Connect to ECF Server
Can't Connect to ECF Server [message #1221687] Wed, 18 December 2013 08:37 Go to next message
Liana Yusri is currently offline Liana YusriFriend
Hi,

I recently found out about Eclipse Communication Framework (ECF) but unfortunately, I can't use it. I can't join the session when I press the "Connect to ECF Generic Collaboration Group" button.

I also tried the "eclipse.exe -console -application org.eclipse.ecf.provider.AppGenericServer 1234" but received error instead (Application "org.eclipse.ecf.provider.AppGenericServer" could not be found in the registry.).

How do I solve this problem in order to connect to the server?

Btw, I'm using Eclipse Kepler.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Re: Can't Connect to ECF Server [message #1221831 is a reply to message #1221687] Wed, 18 December 2013 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
On 12/18/2013 09:37 AM, Liana Yusri wrote:
> I recently found out about Eclipse Communication Framework (ECF) but
> unfortunately, I can't use it. I can't join the session when I press the
> "Connect to ECF Generic Collaboration Group" button.
> I also tried the "eclipse.exe -console -application
> org.eclipse.ecf.provider.AppGenericServer 1234" but received error
> instead (Application "org.eclipse.ecf.provider.AppGenericServer" could
> not be found in the registry.).
>
> How do I solve this problem in order to connect to the server?

Hi Liana,

AFAIK there is no public server running anymore. So unless you run your
own server, you won't be able to connect.

M.
Re: Can't Connect to ECF Server [message #1221956 is a reply to message #1221687] Wed, 18 December 2013 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Hi Liana

Liana Yusri wrote on Wed, 18 December 2013 03:37
Hi,

I recently found out about Eclipse Communication Framework (ECF) but unfortunately, I can't use it. I can't join the session when I press the "Connect to ECF Generic Collaboration Group" button.

I also tried the "eclipse.exe -console -application org.eclipse.ecf.provider.AppGenericServer 1234" but received error instead (Application "org.eclipse.ecf.provider.AppGenericServer" could not be found in the registry.).

How do I solve this problem in order to connect to the server?

Btw, I'm using Eclipse Kepler.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Markus is correct...there is no longer a public collab/chat server for ECF. There are two reasons for this:

1) We don't currently have the admin support to be able to admin multiple public servers;
2) There are now quite a large number of different kinds of ECF server applications (e.g. server for collab app, server for remote services, event admin, alternative providers...e.g. r-osgi, jms, etc), and so problem 1 is quite a difficult one for us...i.e. we are forced to choose which servers to run...and for how long.

However, you can run an ECF generic server by running this command

eclipse.exe -console -application org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic.Server

This should produce console output like this:

osgi>
Generic server started with id=ecftcp://localhost:3282/server

You may then connect to this server within Eclipse's ECF Collaboration view with this ID: ecftcp://localhost:3282/server

Client connects should result in the server console output like this:

Client Connect Addr=/127.0.0.1:58050;ID=StringID[p8C7XCJ9HmHszEvrvaM8ftAL7Sg=];G
roup=/server

Note, that for thie org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic.Server application that you can specify a configURL to change the hostname/port/path of the server:

eclipse.exe -console -application org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic.Server -serverName ecftcp://localhost:3284/myserver

Note also that the org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic.Server app can be started/debuged from within Eclipse, and the source for the application is in this class: org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic.app.GenericServerApplication

Which is in this project/bundle: org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic. This project is in the ECF git repo here:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.git/tree/server-side/bundles/org.eclipse.ecf.server.generic

Note also that we are doing some feature restructuring right now...see this bug:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=409787

specifically around better supporting server/non-Eclipse uses of ECF.

Re: Can't Connect to ECF Server [message #1221970 is a reply to message #1221956] Thu, 19 December 2013 01:59 Go to previous message
Liana Yusri is currently offline Liana YusriFriend
Thank you for replying.

I followed your instructions however when Eclipse started, it is not responding and pop out a message.

As attached is the screenshot of the message.

Regards,
Liana
Previous Topic:Unable to pass credentials through URL to an HTTP Server
Next Topic:How-to use css to customise ECF views ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:46:38 GMT 2024