Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Proxy setting for using external Web Services(Problems while using WSDL of external 3rd party online hosted web services under company proxy)
Proxy setting for using external Web Services [message #1221015] Mon, 16 December 2013 17:26 Go to next message
Kunal Suri is currently offline Kunal SuriFriend

Hi,

Recently, I encountered an interesting issue and would like to get some guidance from the Stardust Community on the same.

In my Test Processes, I have been using the 'Web Service Applications' to connect and use Cxf SOAP based web services for providing certain functionality. These services have been deployed in local my jvm environment and were used through their WSDL urls.
All such services have run successfully and provided the desired results.

But, now while I was trying to use an external (3rd part - online) web service [1] through its WSDL, the Stardust on my desktop under the company proxy server was giving me 'connection timeout error'

[1] http://www.restfulwebservices.net/wcf/USAZipCodeService.svc?wsdl

I tried the same web service on a Stardust installed in my laptop outside the company proxy server and the 'Web Service Applications' is able to retrieve all the web service Operations successfully.

Thus, could you please guide me on which config files should I modify to include some proxy settings that would allow me to use external Web services easily.

Thanks!
Kunal

P.S. I have already tried to provide the Proxy Settings in the Eclipse under Windows-> Preferences -> General -> Network Connections but it did not help!
Re: Proxy setting for using external Web Services [message #1221061 is a reply to message #1221015] Mon, 16 December 2013 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Hendrik Scheufen is currently offline Jan Hendrik ScheufenFriend

Hi Kunal,

the area you already looked into is typically where you need to configure the company proxy: Windows-> Preferences -> General -> Network Connections

The same setting is required when installing plugins or otherwise connecting to the internet from within Eclipse.
You're sure that the proxy settings were correct?

Other than that I can only suggest a workaround:
- Copy the WSDL from the URL and store the file locally on your classpath. E.g. in a JAR project or in the web project
- When you're in the process modeler and configuring the "Web Service Application", you can refer to the local file with a relative path (e.g. "wsdl/USAZipCodeService.wsdl", assuming you saved the file in a folder called wsdl/).
- This approach has the benefit that don't need network connectivity when working in your model. It only requires you to package the WSDL with your application, because the process engine would lookup the definition from the classpath at runtime as well. The actual endpoint of the service call would still be the public URL.

Regards,

Jan
Re: Proxy setting for using external Web Services [message #1221245 is a reply to message #1221015] Tue, 17 December 2013 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fradj Zayen is currently offline Fradj ZayenFriend
Hi,

you can also configure the proxy setting as JVM argument

-Dhttp.proxyHost="YOUR_PROXY_HOST" -Dhttp.proxyPort="YOUR_PROXY_PORT" -Dhttp.proxy.username=username -Dhttp.proxy.password=password
Re: Proxy setting for using external Web Services [message #1221417 is a reply to message #1221245] Tue, 17 December 2013 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Fradj,
Thanks for your pointer. I tried that too, but still getting the same timeout problem.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply! Smile

I did check the Proxy settings again as you asked but they seemed OK.

I got your point on the workaround but if in any Testing someone uses 'X' number of WSDL, then they would need to create them all locally as you said. Also, what would happen in the case someone would need to use external REST services in any Process.( Lest say Google map API )

Thus, could you help me to understand how the 'Web Service Applications' in the Process.xpdl file tries to Load the service from the WSDL ( and thus giving the timeout error for external files).

I tried to use the same WSDL in SoapUI 4.6.2 on the same machine and the SaopUI tool loads the WSDL file seamlessly and I can use the operations without any problems.

Thanks for your time! I hope this thread would help other community members too.

Regards,
Kunal
Re: Proxy setting for using external Web Services [message #1229048 is a reply to message #1221417] Wed, 08 January 2014 15:52 Go to previous message

Hi Guys,

Any pointers on this thread?

It would be helpful to understand the cause why the external 3rd party WSDL links are not being used in a straight forward way using their URL when all the other updates in eclipse are working?

Also, the eclipse config files have been updated with the Proxy settings.

These WSDL Url's can be easily accessed and tested in tool like SOAPUI

Thanks!
Kunal
Previous Topic:How to suspend process at any time for incoming message?
Next Topic:Using Rest Web Services in Stardust
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:56:23 GMT 2024