Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Babel » Eclipse slow to start with language packs
Eclipse slow to start with language packs [message #1220537] Thu, 12 December 2013 12:21 Go to next message
Roy Stoliday is currently offline Roy StolidayFriend
We have an Eclipse based product for which we have written a number of plug-ins. We have recently been internationalizing the product.

We have done our own translation of our plugin elements, and are using the downloaded language packs for both the French and Japanese languages. On some of our slower platforms (specifically our Solaris Sparc based offering), the language pack plug-ins cause the Eclipse Workbench to start significantly slower than when the language packs are omitted.

Eclipse starts and is ready to use after approx. 33 seconds without language packs, and typically with the language packs it takes 44 seconds. Considering we are using only 2 language packs, I'm expecting it to take much longer once we start to introduce others.

I have tried the recommended VM settings as recommended for Eclipse.

Is there any alternative to using language packs to internationalize the Eclipse product?

We are using Eclipse 4.3.1.
Re: Eclipse slow to start with language packs [message #1220591 is a reply to message #1220537] Thu, 12 December 2013 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

I'll try to reach Kit on the mailing list... I think he may have some insight.

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: Eclipse slow to start with language packs [message #1220810 is a reply to message #1220537] Fri, 13 December 2013 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kit Lo is currently offline Kit LoFriend
Roy,

If the long start time only happens during the very first launch of Eclipse, then you may be seeing the p2 metadata detection and generation process.

If you just unzip Eclipse Platform, plus a few other plugins (for example, EMF, WTP, or your own plugins) and the language packs, p2 has to detect and check all the plugins to make sure all the prerequisites are fulfilled, and then generate the p2 metadata. This is basically equivalent to the "install process" of some other commercial software products, and this takes time!

I'm not a release engineer, but I know p2 has some tools to help you generate the p2 metadata to represent the bundles in your application, and also to represent your application as a whole within p2 metadata. That should help to speed up the detection process. See http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Getting_Started_for_Releng for more details. If that still does not help shorten the start time, maybe you should open a Eclipse Bugzilla report, describe your scenario and see if the p2 team can give you some advices.

Kit Lo
Eclipse Babel Project Lead
IBM Eclipse SDK (IES) Globalization Technical Lead
IBM Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) Globalization Technical Lead
Re: Eclipse slow to start with language packs [message #1220934 is a reply to message #1220810] Mon, 16 December 2013 08:53 Go to previous message
Roy Stoliday is currently offline Roy StolidayFriend
Thank you Kit,

Eclipse is certainly a lot slower to start the first time, but seems to settle down after that. This is explained by what you have posted, so thanks for that.

That said, the issue with the language packs still occurs on subsequent starting. The original times mentioned we averages after starting once.

The issue appears to be related to the update configurator attempting to load the plug-ins a second time, because once I've stopped this I do get much better performance on startup.

I've not completely cleared this up yet but I'll update the issue if this proves to be the ultimate fix.

Thanks for your help,

Roy.
Previous Topic:Babel Language Packs R0.11.1 are now available!
Next Topic:Why not an RCP application?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:23:55 GMT 2024