Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » How to verify Application are Deployed(I would like to know how to confirm resources and applications are correctly deployed.)
How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1219597] Wed, 04 December 2013 20:01 Go to next message
Kevin Coy is currently offline Kevin CoyFriend
Hi, I am new to using Virgo. I am pretty familiar with Tomcat and am wondering if some of the features carried over to Virgo.

For instance, how can I confirm that my WAR files have successfully deployed? In Tomcat I could go to the manager UI (localhost:8080/manager/html) to confirm this. Also, you can stop and start applications from here. Can this be done in Virgo?

Also, how can I confirm that JNDI resources are deployed properly? In Tomcat 7.0.42 for example, I could go to localhost:8080/manager/text/resources to confirm this (see tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/manager-howto.html). How can this be done in Virgo?

Lastly, where is the standard place to add VM arguments?

Thanks in advance!
Re: How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1219608 is a reply to message #1219597] Wed, 04 December 2013 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Waibel is currently offline Florian WaibelFriend
Hi Kevin,

that would be the Virgo Web Admin Console as mentioned in the Virgo User Guide.

There is a nice blog about JNDI and Virgo here.

Regarding the VM arguments:
One way is to put your
JAVA_OPTS=-Dfoo=bar

into a setenv.sh besides the startup.sh inside the bin directory.

Hope this helps,
florian
Re: How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1219753 is a reply to message #1219597] Thu, 05 December 2013 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Florian, thanks for the responses. I was aware of the Virgo Admin page, but it didn't seem like there was much to do on there and I guess I just missed my applications on the Wirings tab. It doesn't look like you can start/stop and deploy/undeploy from here though.

I will take a look at the JNDI stuff you pointed out now.
Re: How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1219806 is a reply to message #1219753] Thu, 05 December 2013 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Waibel is currently offline Florian WaibelFriend
Hi Kevin,

there is another thread about the hidden deploy feature here.

Regards,
florian
Re: How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1219895 is a reply to message #1219806] Fri, 06 December 2013 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Florian, thanks for pointing me at this other post, but my Virgo Admin page does not have an "Artifacts" or "Repositories" tab. Being able to deploy/undeploy and start/stop applications from the admin page isn't a deal breaker for me, so I will probably move on for now. I am trying to figure out how to get each of my WARs to have their own log files again like when I was using Log4j. Logback, which Virgo appears to be using, is unfamiliar to me, and I have not been able to figure out a solution, though this is not a show stopper either.
Re: How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1220007 is a reply to message #1219895] Mon, 09 December 2013 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Hi,

Kevin Coy wrote on Fri, 06 December 2013 16:41
... I am trying to figure out how to get each of my WARs to have their own log files again like when I was using Log4j. Logback, which Virgo appears to be using, is unfamiliar to me, and I have not been able to figure out a solution, though this is not a show stopper either.

May be you need this [1] feature.

Regards
Violeta

[1] http://eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.6.2.RELEASE/docs/virgo-user-guide/htmlsingle/virgo-user-guide.html#serviceability
Chapter: Application Output
Re: How to verify Application are Deployed [message #1220407 is a reply to message #1220007] Wed, 11 December 2013 14:39 Go to previous message
On the logback issue side of things. It seems I was having some issues with multiple copies of slf4j, log4j, and logback on the classpath. Probably mostly because I was placing some of the logging JARs in $CATALINA_BASE/lib/ directory, which I had working I thought. But I realized it was not working correctly after I got more familiar with logback. So, I had to move the slf4j and logback dependencies into each WAR.

Then, to create separate log files, its seems that I need to leverage Mapped Diagnostic Context (MDC) with a SiftingAppender (http://java.dzone.com/articles/siftingappender-logging). Less than desirable when compared to log4j would honor each WAR's log4j.xml. So, now I have some fractured logs because I can't get the logs from a WAR to go to a unique file until I can get to an early entry point class to set a unique value to MDC based on the WAR's context-path. MDC seems like it could be useful with creating separate log files per user and/or user's session; however, logback's default MDCAdapter only allows one discriminator to be used in the serviceability.xml.
Previous Topic:JAX-WS Web Service support
Next Topic:Enabling DEBUG logging in spring security classes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:17:00 GMT 2024