Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » ECF WebSocket provider
ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219217] Mon, 02 December 2013 16:40 Go to next message
Maxim Petrov is currently offline Maxim PetrovFriend
We tried to use "Generic Container" and were fully satisfied, because it give us automatic discovery, RSA and EventAdmin. But our domain security does not allow us to open additional TCP ports on the server side. And all communication between client and server should be passed only over HTTPS.

There is REST container and also I saw SOAP examples, but they don't give us discovery and EventAdmin out of the box.

Therefore we are thinking of replacing TCP implementation used by "Generic Container" to WebSocket. Could you recommend us right way for this extension?

Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219225 is a reply to message #1219217] Mon, 02 December 2013 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
[quote title=Maxim Petrov wrote on Mon, 02 December 2013 11:40]We tried to use "Generic Container" and were fully satisfied, because it give us automatic discovery, RSA and EventAdmin. But our domain security does not allow us to open additional TCP ports on the server side. And all communication between client and server should be passed only over HTTPS.

There is REST container and also I saw SOAP examples, but they don't give us discovery and EventAdmin out of the box.
/quote]

Although you are correct about EventAdmin (not available with REST and SOAP providers)...with the use of OSGi Remote Services you should be able to use whatever discovery provider that you wish.

Quote:

Therefore we are thinking of replacing TCP implementation used by "Generic Container" to WebSocket. Could you recommend us right way for this extension?

Coincidently, I (Scott) have been contemplating a WebSocket-based provider for some time...just not had the time nor driving use case to complete it.

I can quickly think of three ways to go about this technically:

1) Create a websocket provider implementation and implement these APIs from 'scratch': IContainer, IRemoteServiceContainerAdapter, EventAdmin

2) Create a websocket provider implementation based upon the ECF 'shared object' API...and extend/use the the ECF generic provider as a base. This would probably involve extending classes like ClientSOContainer and ServerSOContainer from the generic provider, and implementing ISynchAsyncConnection API...based upon websocket of course. The advantage of doing things this way would be that essentially no work would be required to get the implementations of IRemoteServiceContainerAdapter and EventAdmin, because for the generic provider these two APIs are already implemented as 'shared objects' (which depend upon a container that implements the shared object API).

3) Create a websocket provider implementation based upon the JMS provider. This is essentially a variant of '2', ans the JMS provider takes the strategy described by '2'...and so allows the reuse of IRemoteServiceContainerAdapter and EventAdmin for any container implementations based upon it as well. This is what I recently did for the MQTT protocol...i.e. see:

https://github.com/ECF/Mqtt-Provider

and

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=420896

The MQTT provider only took me a week to create...using strategy '3'.

Personally, I would be inclined to do '2' or '3' for a websocket-based provider...but the difficulty of doing that is that detailed knowledge of the shared object API and the JMS provider code is very important to be able to do these correctly. Also...thee '2' or '3' strategy does reuse existing code...and so possibly would pull in functionality which wouldn't be needed/desired (although you've already stated above that you apparently want both remote services and distributed EventAdmin support).

One option: I can/could possibly setup a contractual relationship with you to quickly create such a provider...in open source or not...depending upon your/your company's approach. I could be available for such a thing during December 2013, and would welcome the opportunity to develop it...either in the open/for more general consumption...or for your company only. Since I designed and implemented both the shared object API, and the JMS provider...as well as most of the OSGi RS/RSA impl...I believe I could create a websocket provider (i.e. using '2' or '3') very quickly (e.g. less than one month). If you would like to discuss this possibility directly, please contact me via email at: slewis at composent.com .

Another option: you open a bug/enhancement for ECF team and wait for an existing committer to take on the job. It might, however, take some time as ECF committers are unfortunately rather busy these days with other projects, etc.

Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219331 is a reply to message #1219225] Tue, 03 December 2013 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott, thanks for explanation.
What if I try to implement "WebSocket Generic Provider" in way you implemented SSL Generic provider. I.e. I will create implementation of WebSocketGenericContainer, WebSocketGenericServerContainerGroup etc.. Like you did for SSL:
org/eclipse/ecf/server/generic/SSLAbstractGenericServer.java
org/eclipse/ecf/server/generic/SSLGenericServerContainer.java
org/eclipse/ecf/server/generic/SSLGenericServerContainerGroup.java

I even think that I can "copy-pase" bunch of code from existing classes. What do you think?
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219424 is a reply to message #1219331] Tue, 03 December 2013 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
On 12/03/2013 12:36 PM, Maxim Petrov wrote:
>
> I even think that I can "copy-pase" bunch of code from existing classes.
> What do you think?

Would you be willing to open source such a provider?

Thanks
Markus
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219425 is a reply to message #1219331] Tue, 03 December 2013 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxim Petrov wrote on Tue, 03 December 2013 06:36
Scott, thanks for explanation.
What if I try to implement "WebSocket Generic Provider" in way you implemented SSL Generic provider. I.e. I will create implementation of WebSocketGenericContainer, WebSocketGenericServerContainerGroup etc.. Like you did for SSL:
org/eclipse/ecf/server/generic/SSLAbstractGenericServer.java
org/eclipse/ecf/server/generic/SSLGenericServerContainer.java
org/eclipse/ecf/server/generic/SSLGenericServerContainerGroup.java

I even think that I can "copy-pase" bunch of code from existing classes. What do you think?

That could work...although admittedly there could be some tricky bits in there (which I am at fault for, probably Smile.

Would you be doing this in the open...or just for yourselves? If in the open...would you consider contributing it back to ECF?

Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219536 is a reply to message #1219425] Wed, 04 December 2013 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Scott Lewis wrote on Tue, 03 December 2013 14:15]Maxim Petrov wrote on Tue, 03 December 2013 06:36

Would you be doing this in the open...or just for yourselves? If in the open...would you consider contributing it back to ECF?

Yes, as soon as we create some working model, we publish our code and make it open.
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219574 is a reply to message #1219536] Wed, 04 December 2013 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
On 12/04/2013 02:40 PM, Maxim Petrov wrote:
> Yes, as soon as we create some working model, we publish our code and
> make it open.

It is up to you, but I'd like to encourage you to push it to Bitbucket
or Github right from the start. You will get feedback earlier if we can
see your code.

Thanks
Markus
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219948 is a reply to message #1219574] Sat, 07 December 2013 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please review!

github.com/videonext/ECF-WebSocket

Our WebSocket implementation is based on the Jetty and can work in the embedded Jetty instance (see examples) or in the standalone instance we actually used. RSA and Discovery work. Distributed Event Admin I did not test, but I think it should work out of the box, because SO API was fully reused.
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219970 is a reply to message #1219948] Sat, 07 December 2013 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
On 12/07/2013 09:49 AM, Maxim Petrov wrote:
> Please review!
> github.com/videonext/ECF-WebSocket
>
> Our WebSocket implementation is based on the Jetty and can work in the
> embedded Jetty instance (see examples) or in the standalone instance we
> actually used. RSA and Discovery work. Distributed Event Admin I did not
> test, but I think it should work out of the box, because SO API was
> fully reused.

Hi Maxim,

I had a glance at the code (haven't run it yet), but assuming you are
willing to contribute it to ECF, you will have to adapt the license
headers. Right now it says 2004 Composent inc. when most of the
copyright should be yours.

M.
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1219992 is a reply to message #1219948] Sun, 08 December 2013 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
On 12/07/2013 09:49 AM, Maxim Petrov wrote:
> Please review!
> github.com/videonext/ECF-WebSocket

Hi Maxim,

are you developing this for one of the products of
http://www.videonext.com ?

M.
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1220030 is a reply to message #1219992] Mon, 09 December 2013 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User wrote on Sun, 08 December 2013 09:47
On 12/07/2013 09:49 AM, Maxim
are you developing this for one of the products of
www.videonext.com ?

Yes, we are still in the research stage and have few small pilot projects to evaluate ECF and other OSGI related technologies. But ECF+WebSocket looks very promising for us.
Re: ECF WebSocket provider [message #1234349 is a reply to message #1220030] Tue, 21 January 2014 19:14 Go to previous message
Quote:
Yes, we are still in the research stage and have few small pilot projects to evaluate ECF and other OSGI related technologies. But ECF+WebSocket looks very promising for us.

Hi Maxim,

Hope things are going well with ECF Remote Services and websocket. I've opened a new enhancement request for the ECF project to create a websocket-based remote services provider: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=426186

Would it be possible for us to work with you on creating this provider? e.g. would there be some potential for you to contribute part/some of what you have done at https://github.com/videonext/ECF-WebSocket ?

We would, of course, be completely willing to help you with completing/integrating the contribution...if desired...although a casual look at the ECF-WebSocket code looks like it's very cleanly structured.

Please feel free to contact me directly at slewis at composent.com if desired...to discuss. Or discuss here...or on ECF enhancement:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=426186

or on the ecf-dev mailing list: https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ecf-dev

Thanks!

Scott

Previous Topic:NullPointerException in PollingInputStream.readPendingInput()
Next Topic:Hello example over network
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:24:29 GMT 2024