Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Eclipse and WindowBuilder: can't see the live image(LinuxMint 16, oracle-java 1.7.0_45, Kepler JEE R and Kepler JEE SR1)
Eclipse and WindowBuilder: can't see the live image [message #1219126] Mon, 02 December 2013 08:10 Go to next message
Csaba Mészáros is currently offline Csaba MészárosFriend
Hello!
I've installed the new LinuxMint 16 64bits., and the Eclipse Kepler JEE SR1 package, and also the WindowBuilder from the official update site via Eclipse IDE.
I have a great problem of not being able to create windows with Design option.
The error I am facing with is:

org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.utils.check.AssertionFailedException: No special container association and no component creation association for {new: org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell} {local-unique: __wbp_shell} {/new org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell(org.eclipse.swt.SWT.NONE)/ /__wbp_shell.setLayout(new org.eclipse.swt.layout.RowLayout())/} and {new: org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell} {local-unique: no-variable-yet} {}
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.utils.check.Assert.fail(Assert.java:225)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.utils.check.Assert.isNotNull(Assert.java:194)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.JavaInfoUtils.createAssociation(JavaInfoUtils.java:1412)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.JavaInfoUtils.add(JavaInfoUtils.java:1385)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.JavaInfoUtils.add(JavaInfoUtils.java:1289)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.JavaInfoUtils.add(JavaInfoUtils.java:1225)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.swt.model.layout.LayoutInfo.command_CREATE(LayoutInfo.java:631)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.swt.model.widgets.live.SwtLiveManager.addWidget(SwtLiveManager.java:87)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.swt.model.widgets.live.SwtLiveManager.createLiveComponent(SwtLiveManager.java:65)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.util.live.AbstractLiveManager.createCacheEntryEx(AbstractLiveManager.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.util.live.AbstractLiveManager.createCacheEntry(AbstractLiveManager.java:82)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.util.live.AbstractLiveManager.getCachedEntry(AbstractLiveManager.java:264)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.model.util.live.AbstractLiveManager.getCachedEntry(AbstractLiveManager.java:245)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.swt.model.widgets.live.SwtLiveManager.getImage(SwtLiveManager.java:133)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.swt.model.widgets.ControlInfo.getLiveImage(ControlInfo.java:138)
	at org.eclipse.wb.core.model.AbstractComponentInfo.getImage(AbstractComponentInfo.java:165)
	at org.eclipse.wb.core.gef.part.AbstractComponentEditPart$1.paintClientArea(AbstractComponentEditPart.java:91)
	at org.eclipse.wb.draw2d.Figure.paintFigure(Figure.java:533)
	at org.eclipse.wb.draw2d.Figure.paint(Figure.java:514)
	at org.eclipse.wb.draw2d.Figure.paintChildren(Figure.java:552)
	at org.eclipse.wb.draw2d.Figure.paint(Figure.java:516)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.draw2d.FigureCanvas.handlePaint(FigureCanvas.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.draw2d.FigureCanvas.access$2(FigureCanvas.java:160)
	at org.eclipse.wb.internal.draw2d.FigureCanvas$3.handleEvent(FigureCanvas.java:150)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1276)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1300)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1285)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.gtk_expose_event(Control.java:2992)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite.gtk_expose_event(Composite.java:709)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Canvas.gtk_expose_event(Canvas.java:167)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.windowProc(Widget.java:1769)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:5116)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:4377)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._gtk_main_do_event(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.gtk_main_do_event(OS.java:8317)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.eventProc(Display.java:1193)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._gdk_window_process_updates(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.gdk_window_process_updates(OS.java:5584)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.update(Control.java:5063)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.update(Control.java:5054)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CBannerLayout.layout(CBannerLayout.java:182)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite.updateLayout(Composite.java:1570)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite.setBounds(Composite.java:1368)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.setSize(Control.java:1056)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.layout.TrimArea.tileTrim(TrimArea.java:407)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.layout.TrimLayout.layout(TrimLayout.java:396)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite.updateLayout(Composite.java:1570)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.resizeBounds(Shell.java:1632)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.gtk_size_allocate(Shell.java:1385)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.windowProc(Widget.java:1784)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:5116)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:4377)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS._g_main_context_iteration(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.g_main_context_iteration(OS.java:2342)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3184)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2701)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2665)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2499)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:679)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:668)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)

I have spent hours with different combinations of Eclipse's (from Juno to Luna), but I cannot make the problem gone. I have removed the complete openjdk stuff and replaced with oracle's java, still no way to solve. I am working nearly a year with WB, but I could hardly find a proper Eclipse+WB match, which is a desolating fact.

I don't understand why is WB so fragile? Are there any viable solutions for this error?

I would really appreciate your answer!
Re: Eclipse and WindowBuilder: can't see the live image [message #1219194 is a reply to message #1219126] Mon, 02 December 2013 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
I don't believe that WindowBuilder is fragile at all.

I think it is much more likely that your Linux distro and/or window manager is fragile (which I have seen as a cause of problems too many times to count).

You said that you have been working with WB for a year. Has it ever worked for you during that time? If it stopped working at some point, did that correspond to any system changes on your end (OS distro, window manager, libraries, etc.)?
Re: Eclipse and WindowBuilder: can't see the live image [SOLVED] [message #1219198 is a reply to message #1219194] Mon, 02 December 2013 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csaba Mészáros is currently offline Csaba MészárosFriend
Hello Eric!
Thank you for your replay. I did solve now replacing the mdm window manager with gdm.
I never tought it could make so much annoyances. I think the source of the problems was LinuxMint's MDM. I will file bug report to Linuxmint.
Thank you again!

[Updated on: Mon, 02 December 2013 15:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse and WindowBuilder: can't see the live image [SOLVED] [message #1219231 is a reply to message #1219198] Mon, 02 December 2013 19:05 Go to previous message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
I'm glad you got it working. That it ended up being an issue with a window manager does not surprise me at all. There are lots and lots of Linux window managers and many of them have serious flaws. Almost any of them can break update to update, so it is quite a minefield from our POV.

WB needs to render the live widgets off screen in order to get the WYSIWYG images you see in the design view. If the window manager fails to render them, you get nothing in the design view. What I have typically seen happen is that the window managers decides to disable off screen rendering as an "optimization". That often happens in one update and is reverted in the next once the authors of that window manager get enough complaints and realize their "optimization" actually breaks stuff.
Previous Topic:Installing WindowBuilder
Next Topic:WindowBuilder with JGoodies Forms >= 1.6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:47:22 GMT 2024