Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » disable flyover (fastview) mode?
disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1211601] Tue, 26 November 2013 14:23 Go to next message
Christian Sell is currently offline Christian SellFriend
Hello,

I recently moved over to E4 as IDE. I have been using eclipse for many years now and was always glad that there was an option to disable fastviews. Now I find that this is no longer possible with E4 (unless I missed something).

Heres my usecase: I have a group of views that I keep together, e.g. search view and console. Since I like to see as much code at a time as possible, I keep the view group minimized until I need them. When I need them, however, I want them in a way that I can explore their content without them disappearing when I double-click some item. A typical example would be browsing search results.

In E4, when the view group is minimized, it always shrinks into that toolbar item (is this what you call a PartStack?), and when a view from the group is activated, the group is shown in a flyover manner. If I need the view fixed as described above (which is basically always the case), I have to click the restore button to get the view group into their usual space. As I have absolutely no use for the flyover view mode (and dont see how anybody else would), I would really appreciate if there was an option to disable it, causing view groups to be restored immediately when a view is activated.

Any help, here?
regards, chris

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2013 14:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1214710 is a reply to message #1211601] Wed, 27 November 2013 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Moffatt is currently offline Eric MoffattFriend
This is an interesting idea...proper 'full screen' mode; let's see if I can paraphrase this correctly.

The 'maximized' stack takes up the whole window but the minimized stacks don't appear in the trim. When a part not in the maximized stack activates it restores itself to the presentation but in a manner that causes it to 'disappear' again once an editor re-activates.

The main issue here is that the only way to access views directly would be to use Ctrl-3 or Ctrl-F7...

Feel free to open an enhancement request for this one. I'm can't guarantee that it'll make Luna but it *is* interesting.
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1216071 is a reply to message #1214710] Thu, 28 November 2013 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not sure that I understand your "paraphrasing". What I want is that clicking on a view icon in the minimized stack, or activating the view via some other action (like initiating a search) will always have the same effect as right-clicking on the icon and choosing the "restore" context menu item.

Or, in other words, circumvent the flyover mode, which I personally find completely obstructive (maybe someone can tell me what the reasoning was for introducing it in the first place).

Even if I access a view via Ctrl-3 or Ctrl-F7, it appears in flyover mode, if the stack was minimized previously..
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1220509 is a reply to message #1216071] Thu, 12 December 2013 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as there are no replies, I suppose I will have to live with the flyover stuff. I really think this is one area where eclipse 4 deviates from the principles that once governed the eclipse ecosystem. Eclipse was a framework that tried not to force certain preferences and tastes on people. The flyover view mode is a feature that increases the number of user interactions required to perform certain tasks (e.g., getting a view from a minimized group into "restored" mode requires one click on the view icon, and a second one on the restore icon, or one click on the restore icon and a second one on the view tab). Such "features" should IMO always be kept optional, as was the case until E3.8.
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1221033 is a reply to message #1220509] Mon, 16 December 2013 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian, just a note that you can drag the minimized stacks over to the right side of the presentation. I do this now regularly because then when the 'fly out' is open it doesn't block the current editor nearly so much (great for debugging...).
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1221270 is a reply to message #1221033] Tue, 17 December 2013 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the suggestion. My current favorite solution is to resize the "fly out" window until it is no longer visible. Now, when it gets activated (e.g. by my pressing Ctrl+H), it no longer gets in my way and all I have to do is press the "restore" button in the minimized stack. Better than before, but still worse than in the old times.

I'd still like to know who invented this thing, and with what justification. I'd also like to get the option back to disable "fly out" completely.
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1221486 is a reply to message #1221270] Tue, 17 December 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That'd be me Smile As to the justification I invite you to install Eclipse 3.2 and try its (horrid) min/max behavior.

Not saying that the current behavior is perfect but most folks prefer it to the previous version. Note that in Eclipse 4 the behavior itself is implemented in an 'adddon' (meaning you can remove or replace it without affecting the rest of the presentation code). I'd be more than happy to guide you if you wanted to attempt your own version that implements this behavior, just email me. It's really just a cut down version of MinMaxAddon that doesn't use the TrimStack at all but just toggles the MPartStack's 'visible' flag...
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1221743 is a reply to message #1221486] Wed, 18 December 2013 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, thanks for the info. You've just made it onto my personal blacklist Wink. I dont remember having problems with Eclipse 3.2's min/max behavior. I have been using Eclipse (as an IDE and as a development Framework) since V2.

regarding the addon: I might give that a try - it would be my first attempt at E4 programming. Dont see how I could send you an email, however.
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1222150 is a reply to message #1221743] Thu, 19 December 2013 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian, I've opened a bug to track this since I think that it's worth persuing, see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=424489 for details...

We'll see how it goes but while I may have made it to your black list you may well make my talk at this year's EclipseCon Smile.
Re: disable flyover (fastview) mode? [message #1228029 is a reply to message #1222150] Mon, 06 January 2014 08:36 Go to previous message
Eric Moffatt wrote on Thu, 19 December 2013 14:34

We'll see how it goes but while I may have made it to your black list you may well make my talk at this year's EclipseCon Smile.

I'd really love to, but SF is just a tad (12 hrs flight) too far off for me..
Previous Topic:E4 BindingTable priority
Next Topic:getSite() returns null
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:02:03 GMT 2024