Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Going for a milestone release..(..bad idea or might make thing go easier?)
Going for a milestone release.. [message #1207319] Sun, 24 November 2013 14:12 Go to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
It just hit me that I'm running the good ol' 0.10.1 release. At the Papyrus homepage, milestone releases are described as follows:

"Stable builds are integration builds that have been found to be stable enough for most people to use, such as Milestones and Release Candidate builds, eg., 2.5.0M4 or 1.2.0RC1. The latest stable build is the right build for people who want to stay up to date with what is going on in the latest development stream, and don't mind putting up with a few problems in order to get the latest greatest features and bug fixes. The latest stable build is the one the development team likes people to be using, because of the valuable and timely feedback."

To me this looks as if the developers actually want us users to use such milestone releases.

Would there be benefits? Would there be drawbacks?

And also, what are the prerequisites for using the M3 release? Will it run in Kepler or do I have to use a prerelease of Luna?

Regards,
Tomas Sandkvist
Re: Going for a milestone release.. [message #1207622 is a reply to message #1207319] Sun, 24 November 2013 17:42 Go to previous message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Tomas,

It is not recommended to use milestones yet. Papyrus/Kepler will be maintained until February 2014 (0.10.2). For new releases, early milestones are never as stable as maintenance release. There will be new milestones until May, 2014 (M7), and we will start focussing on stability around M6. Until then, regressions are to expect, and the overall stability of the tool is not guaranteed (But new features might only be available on these milestones). So, for standard usage of the tool, we recommend releases and service releases; not milestones.

Edit: And you would need Eclipse Luna M3 to run Papyrus 1.0M3. It might work on the Kepler Platform, but then the installation would be more complicated.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier

[Updated on: Sun, 24 November 2013 17:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Integrating custom OCL rules with the Papyrus editor
Next Topic:Lost functionality after installing Mylyn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:37:13 GMT 2024